Sour crop & Monistat -- cream ok? or suppositories only?

StPaulieGirls

Crowing
16 Years
Aug 14, 2007
Hutchinson, MN
Hi all,

Hen with sour crop. Got the 7-day generic cream with miconazole nitrate and have given her two doses of about 3 ccs each.

Then I read a posting from a few years back that says the cream is toxic. Ingredients of the cream I bought are here:
Active Ingredients: Miconazole Nitrate (100 mg/dose)
Inactive Ingredients: Benzoic Acid, Butylated Hydroxyanisole, Mineral Oil, Oleoyl Polyoxylglycerides, Pegoxol 7 Stearate, Purified Water

I just couldn't figure out how to get part or all of a suppository down her throat without killing her. She's not eating anything unless we offer her live mealworms.

Advice please? Should we discontinue the cream? Buy some suppositories? How would you force-feed those to a bird?

Thanks and good luck to everyone with a sick chick tonight.

Peace,
Kerri

We lost our oldest hen today, she was hugging 5...called the crew in for night and Curious was a no show...found her by water trough just standing there...so I picked her up without a feather flying..and her crop felt full so upside down she went and..EEWWWW..Really nasty goobers came out..bunches of it...she then sat on my lap breathing slower than she should..shutting her eyes resting..so after 30 min I put her into nest box in coop..she stood and did a shake..we came home a couple of hours later she was in a different box dead...she just layed down and gone...so I know she had a good day acting normally in the am unsure what set the problem off but I do know her crop was nasty sour...just sad for her she was a very sweet hen..

Back
Top Bottom