sour crop treatment question

redriding

Songster
Aug 31, 2020
british columbia canada
so dealing with possible sour crop due to slow emptying crop. i’ve just started walmart brand of monistat, i can’t find anywhere that says whether there’s egg withdrawal...can i at least feed them back to the girls ?

also, has anyone got any handy tricks to get the liquid in her ? these ovules can’t be cut up so i have to pierce them and squeeze out the cream. i tried soaking it up in bread but she’s on to me and won’t eat it 😆 i tried syringe but it’s too gummy and it won’t mix well with water. by the end of it i think she had more all over her face and me in my hair...😅 would love any suggestions !

If it’s not empty in the morning after a night with no feed it probably is obstructed...you might try feeding them oily bread. You could mix the monistat into that so it would be more palatable. Also, massage the crop. You can sometimes feel the obstruction breaking up. Kinda gross, but also pretty cool!

How slow emptying is the crop? Could it be impacted? Have you tried probiotic yogurt or anything like that?
for about 2 weeks it hasn’t been emptying fully so i’ve been massaging daily and giving coconut oil but over the last few days it’s gotten really water balloony and she seems to be breathing a bit heavy. she’s fully active, still pooping and eating so i decided to get on the monistat before she started to smell ‘sour’. i give them kefir regularly and this last week i’ve tried acv in their water a couple times

for about 2 weeks it hasn’t been emptying fully so i’ve been massaging daily and giving coconut oil but over the last few days it’s gotten really water balloony and she seems to be breathing a bit heavy. she’s fully active, still pooping and eating so i decided to get on the monistat before she started to smell ‘sour’. i give them kefir regularly and this last week i’ve tried acv in their water a couple times
Also—she’s getting water balloon-y? In her crop or lower on the abdomen?

Also—she’s getting water balloon-y? In her crop or lower on the abdomen?
she eats the coconut oil off my finger, she loves it...at least she was until i gave her medicine yesterday, now she doesnt trust anything 😏. i alternate, giving her olive oil also, by dripping on the tip of her beak. yes, it’s for sure her crop. i should mention, last year she had a bad grass impaction that took 2 house call vet visits and over a month of oil/massage/laxative treatments to clear. so i’ve been watching her closely and half expecting this would happen again unfortunately 😟

Oh man that’s a long journey. Hope your hen’s health looks up.
thanks hilltop 🙏 i just love her to pieces and want to make her better. she is the ‘special’ one of the group that has always had little issues. her 3 sisters are like big tomboys and she’s always been the ‘little girl’. i think she must’ve been the runt. thanks for your feedback !

Back
Top Bottom