Sour crop - whats the cure success rate?

chocluver

Songster
8 Years
Nov 7, 2015
Hello

For those of you that have tried to treat a chook with sour crop, I am interested to know, in general, the success rate?

Most vets sites seem to imply it's a lost cause but I get a different impression from the threads on here

I think I have had my first case of it, or any illness in my flock. I probably noticed too late. I knew something was wrong yesterday then this morning she started expelling green / brown vomit and couldn't stand by herself.

I spent the day looking after her, gently massaging the crop and more and more came out. Then gave her a few drops of water and some fish oil as I read just now, early evening. Minutes later her neck went slack, fluttered her wings and she died.

Maybe I made it worse, but she seemed in much worse condition than sour crop cases in videos I have watched.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry for your loss. Sour crop can be tricky to treat sometimes. Usually it is a symptom of an underlying cause like Coccidiosis, worms and sometimes internal laying/reproductive disorders. Taking a fresh poop sample to your vet for testing can help rule out Cocci or worm overload.

Here is a very good detailed article explaining some common crop issues, I hope this helps:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Back
Top Bottom