Sour crop?

LittlePip21

Songster
Feb 5, 2017
Hello, I have a hen who is having some digestive issues. Last night I noticed she had a dirty butt and white stuff around her vent. I figured it was gleet, so I washed her up really well for the night. I gave her rosin salts the next morning, but I noticed her crop was squishy, like a deflated balloon. She has diarrhea, which smells bad, but her breath doesn’t, which makes me think it’s a larger digestive tract issue. Anyway I kept her isolated and didn’t feed her for about 4 hours, and her crop went down a little, but not much it’s not super inflated, but I can tell theirs fluid. She was willing to eat after the four hours, so I gave her some keifer with a little scrambled egg plus the shell. She had one normal poop, but it wasn’t super fiberous or undigested like I’d thought. I haven’t had any cases of this yet, so if you guys could give me some advice I’d appreciate it. There is a lot of new grass in the yard and I’ve been throwing that over the fence, wondering if maybe she’s got a blockage? Idk, let me know if you have any advice, I’ve been massaging it but it really just feels like liquid in there that’s not going anywhere. Thanks! Ps: she was really quiet all day but has perked up a bit now. Do you think I should try to get her to throw it up? I don’t know at one point I should try that

Last edited:
Update: seems she’s much improved! Put her with the others last night, and her crop was empty in the morning. She’s acting much better, and her poop is more substantial. I’ll continue to watch her, and I put probiotic in the flocks water. Her crop is still a little squishy this afternoon, but not outside of normalcy. Probably giving her system a rest helped.

Back
Top Bottom