Sour Crop?

Cottage Goblin

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2022
My chicken phyche appears to have sour crop. Last night I found her beside the coop with water dripping from her mouth. I pick her up and water poors out of her mouth. So I massaged her crop while holding her upside down to give her relief. I started treating her for sour crop and after the 24hr fast I started giving her water again and I have to take it away when I am not watching because she just keeps drinking and drinking. She is lethargic, will not stand or move anything but her head and neck. She also has not passed anything in at least 24hrs. No poop, diarea, anything! I also looked in her mouth but there were no white spots which seems to be a common symptom. I am also offering her yogurt soaked oatmeal with a little bit of water to make it a little less thick. She is also currently in my room isolated and warm.

I would not withhold water during waking hours, you risk dehydration.

With her not pooping at all - have you checked to make sure she's not egg bound?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
She is going to the vet tomorrow and God I hope she us not egg bound. I have to withhold water sometimes (not all the time obviously) because she will drink until her crop is like a water Ballon. I am worried that if she keeps going she will aspirate and/or her crop will tear.

Edit: also, how can I check if she is egg bound? It does seem like her entire digestive system is blocked

Update: WAY overdue. So she is actually 100% better and looks great! I seriously thought she was going to die at one point. But after expressing the vent (that was horred smelling), keeping an eye on water intake, giving her soft food and a warm place, and giving her an Epson salt bath she felt a lot better. And after a few days I let her into the coop just to see her flock again, she moved and crouch walked over to the water and over the days she go stronger and started eating, drinking, and walking normally

Back
Top Bottom