Sour Crop

I agree this is frustrating. We've also been going through some rough spells with them. I also have access to nystatin so I'm not sure if I should do nystatin or monostat. My girl isn't eating much. I may try a syringe to get some ACV water and some yogurt in her in the am.

Yeah I think I am going to have to regurgitate her in the morning the more I think about it. She is just not looking good... the last girl I lost wasnt around for very long, so I am very upset about this happening again. I hope that in the morning though it has gone down some, or that she vomits it up...

It wouldnt hurt to try the ny, it just seems like another kind of fungal infection treatment so it should work hopefully.

Can you imagine going to the store and saying "where is the monitstat? I need it for my chicken" lol

Well I wasn't able to regurgitate her this am. I did get her to eat about 2ml of yogurt. I think I'm going to try to get it in her 3 times a day. I had a really hard time getting it in her. I couldn't get her to open up to put the syringe in. I ended up having to put it on the end of her beak drop by drop and have her lick it off. I'll get her started on meds later today when I get them. She really doesn't look good as her comb and waddle are shrunken. Crossing my fingers for both of us.

I was able to vomit little Pippa this morning. All that came up was food. There was still a bit left in her crop, but it wouldnt come up. Isnt that weird. I thought it would all come up. All that is left in there feels like a bit of food and water and what not... I am going to give her some olive oil in a bit to see if that might help too. Chickens are hard to give stuff too with a syringe! you may have to have a two person operation. I find that if I hold the top of the beak with one hand and the bottom with another, then have my husband use the syringe, it helps alot.

I started her on monostat so we'll see how she does. I also figured out how to use the syringe on my own. I gave her some whey this afternoon. I make my own yogurt so I always have some.

I started her on monostat so we'll see how she does. I also figured out how to use the syringe on my own. I gave her some whey this afternoon. I make my own yogurt so I always have some.

Yummy on your own yogurt!

I regurgitated my girl twice today,got some olive oil in her, and now she is having some tomato soup (tomato paste and water). I am hoping that this will cure it and that I wont have to put her on the monistat... she is so little still at 4 months.

Keep us updated!

Nonononononono! Do not feed a bird with sour crop bread! Trust me! Olive oil with a syringe? Fine. Olive oil with bread? No! OIive oil with youghurt? Fine. Olive oil with bread? I will slap you silly!

Bread will worsen the infection. It can also be a cause of impacted crop. For future references.

Nonononononono! Do not feed a bird with sour crop bread! Trust me! Olive oil with a syringe? Fine. Olive oil with bread? No! OIive oil with youghurt? Fine. Olive oil with bread? I will slap you silly!

Bread will worsen the infection. It can also be a cause of impacted crop. For future references.

Yes, I would concur. I recently read that wildlife rehabbers see many "park ducks" with crops impacted with bread. Because bread is soft, one might expect it pass easily through a bird's crop. But if the bird keeps eating it, apparently it can become a large doughy mass as it gets worked in the crop. Other food gets stuck in it, and eventually the mass becomes too large to pass.

Back
Top Bottom