Sour Crop

lindsayt44

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Mt Pleasant, SC
Does anyone have a recommendation for an anti-fungal medicine for sour crop? I can't get my girl to eat any yogurt and plan on using a dropper with yogurt on her tonight. Anyhow, I'd like to have some medicine to give her and have on hand in the future. I've had her quarantined with no food for 36 hrs and her crop is still large and squishy and her breath is horrible. She was eating before I quarantined her and now she isn't. Still drinking water though. I've been massaging her crop a few times a day and there feels like there is something very large in there. :( Is there anything else I can do? I don't feel comfortable vomiting her.

To treat a yeast infection, you need an anti-fungal medication. Over-the-counter medications used for yeast infections fall in the anti-fungal class of medications and are available as intravaginal creams, tablets, or suppositories. These include:

Monistat (miconazole nitrate)
Gyne-Lotrimin or Mycelex (clotrimazole vaginal)
Femstat (butoconazole vaginal)
Vagistat-1, Monistat-1 (tioconazole)

I had miconazole on hand for my hen, it worked. I used a feeding tube and syringe to get it into the crop. As the feeding tube is long and you will lose what is in the tube I added more then what I needed so it would make it into the crop. To flush out the tube I switched to another syringe with pasted feed to get that into crop too. I used about the the size of a nickel heaped. 2xs a day. Then massaged the crop to coat the crop inside, and the feed to help get it further into the bird.

It will make the poo greasy looking if she hasn't been able to eat much. Tube feeding her Kaytee bird forumla will help her for eating too. In between medications use the tube to get water into crop and massage to break up anything in the crop. Don't use oils as will coat the crop and make the antifungals ineffective, they won't be able to get to where needed.

Hope that helps, and she gets better soon. *** try not to vomit her she could aspirate and choke on what comes up and could kill her ***

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply. I have found a feeding tube and syringe and plan on crop feeding her medicine and some food tonight. I looked up a few instructions and feel pretty good about trying it. Thanks again for your help.

The medicine and feeding were a success so far! I got the medicine in and managed to get a decent amount of Kaytee's in as well. Once I got the tube in, she relaxed a bit. Thanks again for your help! I'll continue feeding her this way and hopefully things will turn around.

My girl made a miraculous recovery from last night! Her crop has pretty much emptied besides the thing that I felt the other day. Before, when her crop was so full from everything else, I couldn't really get an idea of how big it was. I was able to feel it a little better this morning and it is about the size of my two thumbs put together. I've heard of chickens eating mice and small rodents, but they are able to digest those, right? What on earth could be in there of that size? I'm happy that I learned how to handle sour crop, but I'm concerned that whatever is in there is what caused the sour crop to begin with. :( Any other ideas for what I should do next?

Back
Top Bottom