Sour crop???

Paul 1952

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Spokane Valley, WA
Hi all...
I've got a girl here, a hybrid red, whose got the balloon crop thing going on, probable sour crop I'm thinking... isolated her last night. Crop still messed up this morning and she won't eat or drink. Tried the olive oil soaked bread and some yogurt but she won't eat anything at all. She seemed to be getting worse so thought I'd go for it and do the tip her upside down by the legs and see where that got me... oh joy, not really. Here's the result......

... initially it just ran out, no massage required. Let that go for a few and back up for rest and air. She seemed to tolerate it pretty well so after a short rest, minute or so, went for it again... did this 5 or 6 times until her crop seemed a bit more normal. Then back in isolation to see how she does. What you see there is the result and it was quite brownish and thicker each time it was done.
Still not eating or drinking so debating on my next course of action. Think I might force some water with ACV and maybe some yogurt also but would like some opinions if that's okay...
I've been reading some of the sour crop threads and have gained quite a bit there... but misery loves company so posting this! :)
tia - Paul

And if the hen is not eating? You syringe all that down the gullet?

I'll ask it again... how do you get a chicken to eat when it's just not in the mood? Bird won't eat or drink.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom