Southern AZ Ducklings, When can I move them outside?

Bubby_Bunny

Hatching
Feb 8, 2023
Hi there, I'm a newbie at raising ducks. I have 6 ducklings. 4 of which are 8 weeks old, and have been living outside for about a week now. The others are *almost* 5 weeks old, and are going crazy inside because they miss the others. Is it safe to move them outside with the others? They're still fuzzy, but have some feathers coming in. I'm mostly concerned about the weather. I live in southern Arizona, and the nights right now have been in the 40s. We do have a heat lamp outside, but it's still chilly. Any advice is appreciated. Most of the "is it too cold" threads I've seen have been for really cold areas 😅.Thanks in advance 😊

Hi there, I'm a newbie at raising ducks. I have 6 ducklings. 4 of which are 8 weeks old, and have been living outside for about a week now. The others are *almost* 5 weeks old, and are going crazy inside because they miss the others. Is it safe to move them outside with the others? They're still fuzzy, but have some feathers coming in. I'm mostly concerned about the weather. I live in southern Arizona, and the nights right now have been in the 40s. We do have a heat lamp outside, but it's still chilly. Any advice is appreciated. Most of the "is it too cold" threads I've seen have been for really cold areas 😅.Thanks in advance 😊

I don't move ducklings outside until they are fully feathered. Heat lamps in duck houses is generally a bad idea because of the risk of fire. I think ducklings should be inside if they need extra heat at night.

I don't move ducklings outside until they are fully feathered. Heat lamps in duck houses is generally a bad idea because of the risk of fire. I think ducklings should be inside if they need extra heat at night.

Our heat lamp is outside the "duck house" we have a temporary set up, but it's aimed at the opening and shines all the way through. It probably stays around 75 degrees. I'll keep the 2 little ones inside for a few more weeks still yet since they aren't fully feathered. I just feel so bad for them listening to them cry 😭. They seem to be getting used to the situation now though. They're crying time is less now.

If it's warm during the day into the 60's and no wind they could be outside and then inside for nighttime.

It is warm (75 today), but the wind. It's been very blustery lately. I guess they'll just have to deal, I just feel bad for them 😅. They'll be reunited soon enough though.

Back
Top Bottom