Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
@getaclue

Brought this to my attention. I will share the information here:

Ron, I'm not exactly sure where to post this, or how to draw attention to it, but I figure you might. Southern States is expanding it's recall. These are included now.

label-southern-states-food-jpg.1793218

Cargill is expanding their previously announced recall of select Southern States® feed due to levels of aflatoxin too high for FDA guidelines.

The recall now includes feed for a variety of livestock that was manufactured between October 31, 2018, and March 1, 2019.

Following Cargill's internal investigation into how the toxin got into feed, the company identified more products containing an ingredient from the same supplier that provided the initial contaminated ingredients.

They say they've received a small number of adverse event reports for livestock, which they are investigating to determine if they were connected to the recalled feed.

Anyone with animals who have consumed the affected products that may be exhibiting symptoms of Aflatoxicosis is asked to contact their veterinarian.

You can find a full chart of all the affected products – much, much longer than the list below – on the FDA website here.

Cargill's animal nutrition business is voluntarily recalling select Southern States® feed because it contains levels of aflatoxin in excess of FDA guidelines.

Aflatoxins can cause Aflatoxicosis, which, in its acute form, can result in generalized hemorrhage, bloody diarrhea and death in 1-3 days. Its effects and health consequences are the same across all species and age classes, but especially affects immature animals, also causing reduced feed intake, reduced weight gain, liver damage, jaundice, and eventually death.

The affected produces included feed for a variety of animals and were manufactured and sold in the eastern United States, but removed from retail shelves throughout February, March, and April 2019.

According to the FDA, no adverse health effects to livestock, horses, or poultry have been reported, but Cargill is issuing the recall out of an abundance of caution.

The products were manufactured at Cargill’s Cleveland, North Carolina, facility. The company learned of the issue when the North Carolina Department of Agriculture notified them of test results showing a single lot of a specific Southern States product with elevated levels of aflatoxin.

Cargill says they identified and corrected the root cause.

The affected feed was shipped to retail outlets and distributors in Georgia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia, where they've since been removed from shelves.

If you have any of the recalled products, you're asked to return any remaining product to the place of purchase for a replacement or refund. You can call 800-822-1012 (Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time) for more information.

Below is a list of all the recalled products, along with their size, Lot Code, Product Code, Species, Date Made, and Shelf Life.

• Southern States Traditions 2-Grain Scratch (CN) 50 lb N8313 523540 Poultry Nov 2018 | 90 days
• Southern States Flock Balancer 20% Booster (CN) 50 lb N8352 525430 Poultry Dec 2018 | 90 days
• Southern States Calf Developer Plus (DEC) (CN) 50 lb N8354 511810 Dairy Cattle Dec 2018 | 60 days
• Southern States Sheep Feed Pellets (CN) 50 lb N9035 572610 Sheep Feb 2019 | 90 days
• Southern States Sporting Bird Flight Developer (BMD) (CN) 50 lb N9035 523630 Poultry Feb 2019 | 90 days
• Southern States Genetic Expression 14% Jump Start (BVT) (CN) 50 lb N9035 573760 Beef Cattle Feb 2019 | 90 days
• Southern States Custom Formula 2 tons (all purchased by a single customer) N9037 Poultry Feb 2019 | 30 days
• Southern States Traditions Chick Start & Grow (AMP) (CN) 50 lb N9039 523600 Poultry Feb 2019 | 90 days
• Southern States Custom Formula 23 tons (all purchased by a single customer) N9039 Dairy Cattle Feb 2019 | 30 days
• Southern States 16% Sweet Goat Feed (CN) 50 lb N9043 571800 Goat Feb 2019 60 days
• Southern States Triple 10 (CN) 50 lb N9043 554270 Equine Feb 2019 60 days
• Southern States Coarse Screened Cracked Corn (CN) 50 lb N9045 591180 All Stock Feb 2019 | 90 days
• Southern States Intensity 22% Calf Starter (BVT/CF) (CN) 50 lb N9045 511961 Dairy Cattle Feb 2019 | 60 days
• Southern States All Grain Start-N-Grow (CN) 25 lb N9053 523500 Poultry Feb 2019 | 90 days

Thanks for sharing. That is very interesting because I had issues that seemed similar around this time last year, but I give mine the Southern States meat maker pellets. I thought I was having an issue with my fermentation but now I wonder if there was contamination in my feed (or if it was a combination of the two). My sebright just started randomly hemorrhaging from her mouth, and one of my old english looked like she had heart failure, so perhaps she was hemorrhaging internally. I guess I will never know, though.

I have one of the feeds on the list but I do not keep them in the sacks they came in, I fill up garbage cans. Thankfully I save the bags. I did not have any issues with the chicks on the feed though, actually had improvements in the mortality rate of chickens after moving to Southern States. Guess I will refill those bags with what I have left in the garbage can and see if they let me exchange it for the batch they have now.

I have one of the feeds on the list but I do not keep them in the sacks they came in, I fill up garbage cans. Thankfully I save the bags. I did not have any issues with the chicks on the feed though, actually had improvements in the mortality rate of chickens after moving to Southern States. Guess I will refill those bags with what I have left in the garbage can and see if they let me exchange it for the batch they have now.
That is a good idea!

Back
Top Bottom