Soy-Free Feed Question

ItsChicky

Chirping
Feb 25, 2023
Hi! I'll start by saying I don't know if this is in the right spot! We're currently trying out soy-free (conventional, not organic) feed this year and we also sell our eggs in a roadside stand. I would like to eventually include in my advertising that we feed soy-free once we design our own carton labels, but i'm not sure how to word it? I know we have to be careful with what we call them, include handling instructions, our farm info, etc. Would I call them Soy-Free Eggs like they label them in stores? Is there any testing out there where I can send some egg samples to test for soy, or is that even needed if the feed is trusted and confirmed soy-free? How long do hens need to be on soy-free feed before their eggs become soy-free? I come from a family with allergies (not soy, or egg!) so I understand how hard it is to find allergen free foods. That's one of the reasons i'm excited to offer soy-free eggs, but I want to know I'm checking all of the appropriate boxes before I do! I'm also hoping to get tested and become NPIP certified before I update my wording, if that helps at all!

We're feeding Poulin Grain's Production+, but occasionally feed Nutrena Hearty Hen.

I started at the state level first and I wasn't able to find anything beyond the basic labeling requirements or the additional labeling requirements if I'm selling certified organic.
"The eggs are from chickens fed a diet containing no soy or soy meal"

^^^That's about the closest I got to a solution too! It's just sooo wordy, but it is correct! :lol:
Calling them "Soy-Free" does seem to be allowed on the national level since they're labeled that way in major grocery stores and my local farmers markets (in and out of state). Is there any way to have my eggs tested for soy or any way to get a certification that they're soy free? I already have one customer (long time friend) who buys from me due to her soy allergy, so I really want to make it accessible to as many as possible.

^^^That's about the closest I got to a solution too! It's just sooo wordy, but it is correct!

Maybe large text:
"No soy added"

And then the longer explanation in smaller text.

That way you are not claiming soy-free (even though they probably are), just saying you did not add any, which is completely true.

Hmm, maybe not. I just remembered all those labels that say "no added sugar," on things like fruit juice that already contain a lot of natural sugars. So someone might assume (wrongly) that soy is present and you just avoided adding any more. I guess it would depend on how many people read further to see the correct explanation, and how many jump to one conclusion or another without reading further.

I started at the state level first and I wasn't able to find anything beyond the basic labeling requirements or the additional labeling requirements if I'm selling certified organic.

^^^That's about the closest I got to a solution too! It's just sooo wordy, but it is correct! :lol:
Calling them "Soy-Free" does seem to be allowed on the national level since they're labeled that way in major grocery stores and my local farmers markets (in and out of state). Is there any way to have my eggs tested for soy or any way to get a certification that they're soy free? I already have one customer (long time friend) who buys from me due to her soy allergy, so I really want to make it accessible to as many as possible.

Put it on a sign, don't put it on the carton.

Back
Top Bottom