Soybean meal

The comments made in this thread show the vast ignorance of feed and feed ingredient manufacturing.

There are two type of commercial soybean processing methods to produce soybean meal. The first and most prominent (greater than 95% of all SBM) is called Solvent Extracted Soybean Oil Meal. In this process the soybeans are ground, subjected to a solvent oil extraction typically with hexane, and heated to inactivate the naturally occuring trypsin inhibitor. The SBM generated from this are sold as either Hi Pro which is in the 47.5 to 49% protein range. The other is 44% SBM, this is the same as Hi Pro, except soy hulls are added back to the meal to generate a 44% protein product. In virtually all commercial monogastric diets Hi Pro SBM is used.

The other method for producing SBM is the extrusion and expelling process. In this method the soybeans are extruded the heat the soybean meal to inactivate the trypsin inhibitor. This produces a "full fat SBM" with an oil content of about 18% and protein in the high 30s. This SBM can be then expelled to squeeze out the oil which yields a SBM with about 7% oil and 44% protein.

Jim

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

The comments made in this thread show the vast ignorance of feed and feed ingredient manufacturing.

Jim

When does YOUR book come out? I want one for my outhouse........
lau.gif

My comment about ignorance was not meant as an insult, just to illustrate that there is a vast lack of knowledge about how many feed ingredients are manufactured.

I used the ignorance based on this definition:

ig·no·rance
–noun the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.

Jim

Many folks take "ignorance" as an insult. It isn't. It simply means one lack knowledge on a given topic. For example, I am ignorant about the details of how a nuclear power plant works.

For an insult, "stupid" would be appropriate.

Ignorance is fixable by education. Stupid is not fixable, thus permanant.

Bob

"You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on."
GWB

smile.png
Steve
smile.png

Abbott: I don’t want to go outside all by myself with nobody to talk to.
Costello: Why don’t you talk to yourself?
Abbott: I get too many stupid answers.

thanks for that Jim - very good explanation. Ive tried to get info like this from my local feed store - they know sweet %$#& all! After 3 years of raising chickens with ok weight results, we now have started some turkeys (we dont get dedicated Turkey or game feeds in South Africa), so one option to raise protein levels seems to add extra Soya meal (I found that an expelled Full Fat meal was available locally made for horses, which a local lady told me about). The feed store dont know anything more about its ratio or process - so your explanation helps me understand a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom