Greystone farm

Songster
Jul 7, 2020
I’ve attached some pictures of my new baby girl Biscuit. Biscuit is an energetic and very loud little chick. She’s over three weeks old now and lives with two baby Easter eggers and a Wyandotte of the same age with no problems. She is a pretty dark brown in colour with no spangling yet that I can see (i think she might actually have penciling, but not sure), with greenish gray feet. She’s a very good flyer and 10% healthy. She doesn’t have a baby fluff beard but maybe that will grow in once her face feathers come in?
The hatchery said that she is a spangled Russian Orloff, but she just doesn’t match the images I’ve found online. Does anyone know what she is???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 18
  • BBB9218E-CE19-4022-92A2-452BEAE8ACF2.jpeg
    BBB9218E-CE19-4022-92A2-452BEAE8ACF2.jpeg
    505.5 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 14
I don't think it's a Spangled Russian Orloff.
Or at least, it's a very bad quality one.

--feet are the wrong color (supposed to be yellow)
--beard is not present
--I think comb is wrong too, but it's hard to tell in the photo. Orloffs are supposed to have a cushion or strawberry comb (one comb type, two possible words for it.) I think I'm seeing a single comb, or possibly a pea comb.

Quite a few chicks have patterns like that in their baby feathers, and look different when they grow up. So I'd say it's too early to be sure about what color pattern the chick does have. But I would expect to see at least a bit of the white "spangling" by now, and I don't.

The chick down color looks different than on the Orloff chicks I had a while ago, but it may be possible to get correctly-colored adults from different colors of chicks. So I wouldn't say it's "wrong" based purely on chick down color. (But putting that together with all the other points, it definitely does not look right.)

For what breed the chick actually IS, I would wait a while longer and see what her mature feather color turns out to be. She might be an Easter Egger.

...lives with two baby Easter eggers...The hatchery said that she is a spangled Russian Orloff
What hatchery? Did you order them, or pick up in person?

Is there any chance that she is an Easter Egger, and one of the other ones is your Orloff?

I don't think it's a Spangled Russian Orloff.
Or at least, it's a very bad quality one.

--feet are the wrong color (supposed to be yellow)
--beard is not present
--I think comb is wrong too, but it's hard to tell in the photo. Orloffs are supposed to have a cushion or strawberry comb (one comb type, two possible words for it.) I think I'm seeing a single comb, or possibly a pea comb.

Quite a few chicks have patterns like that in their baby feathers, and look different when they grow up. So I'd say it's too early to be sure about what color pattern the chick does have. But I would expect to see at least a bit of the white "spangling" by now, and I don't.

The chick down color looks different than on the Orloff chicks I had a while ago, but it may be possible to get correctly-colored adults from different colors of chicks. So I wouldn't say it's "wrong" based purely on chick down color. (But putting that together with all the other points, it definitely does not look right.)

For what breed the chick actually IS, I would wait a while longer and see what her mature feather color turns out to be. She might be an Easter Egger.

What hatchery? Did you order them, or pick up in person?

Is there any chance that she is an Easter Egger, and one of the other ones is your Orloff?
Yeah, that’s possible. One of my Easter eggers has some spangling on her chest, though she does have more of a light brown/greyish colour not the Orloff dark brown. I picked Biscuit up from Performance Poultry in Prince Edward County, Ontario. I’ll email them about it.

This is Camille, my ‘Easter egger.’ Lol I’m beginning to think that this little lady is my Orloff after all.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for helping me out! One more thing…will Biscuit ever grow in a beard or head tuft or anything, or is she going to be a beardless/muffless EE?
I would guess beardless, but I've had chicks surprise me a few times. It will probably be obvious in another month or two, one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom