sparrows

ange92040

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
Lockhart, TX
Hi read all the posts about sparrows. We just redid our run and thought we had it perfect but we still have sparrow problems and they will only come out when we open the door. They are horrible!!
Any more ideas out there? I thought about hanging CDs around the run, I remember my grandmother hanging tin can lids on the fruit trees to keep the birds from eating the fruit but I can't remember if it worked or not.

Any help will be great.

Repeating sparrow trap. I got mine from a guy from TX.Works great.Catchs other pest birds,mice,and chipmunks too.

I recommend you stain and protect the wood/metal from rust. Mine wasn't but still working after 3 or 4 years now.

http://www.sparrowtraps.net/?gclid=CMLzqaaYyrQCFehDMgodWGYAlQ

Right now is a perfect time since food is limited.Limit the food put out for chickens,so the sparrows have only the trap food.

Last edited:
Arg! I have the exact same problem and it is so frustrating. I first tried a pullet gun. While I did get a number of them it did not seem like enough of a deterrent for the rest. To be fair both my fiance and I work too much to be consistent with it so I think that is the real problem with the gun.

You could try building a treadle - which is a feeder that only opens when the bird stands directly on it so the sparrows won't have easy access. Here is a good free plan:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/building-a-treadle-chicken-feeder

I built one and it actually worked great for all but one of my birds. (again, Arg!!). I have 3 large fowl, 1 bantum cochin and 1 bantum silkie. I was able to weight it properly so that it worked for both my bantums and my large fowl without too much fuss and the 3 big girls and the cochin all figured it out and I thought I had my solution. (I propped it open the first few days so they would understand) But, my silkie just doesn't seem to get it. She is very very dumb. I love her but.... well, it's just not happening.

So, I am now also looking for a plan C. If you find something that works please let me know!! I am considering feeding them two or three times a day instead of leaving food out, but with my work schedule I am not sure how realistic that is either.

Thanks for the trap idea red ad mattemma. I may try that.

Last edited:
i only use the pellet gun for when they make there stupid nest and i sit there and wait for them to pop there heads out then i pop them off and for other animals to

Thanks everyone for the replies.

We've decided to replace the screen with chicken wire so maybe that will help since they have been popping the staples when they try to find their way out. My son wants me to buy him a pellet gun so he can get them but he's at school most of the day so that probably won't help. I wish there was something I could hang, put outside the run and coops to scare them away. Has anyone used the owl or reflective tape? I've seen the trap on line but them what would I do with them after I catch them?

Back
Top Bottom