Spay?

Hey did you get any quotes for the cost of spaying? My duck is old and keeps getting egg bound, I think she could really benefit from being spayed.

You may reach out to a local avian vet. They can do hormone implants in leu of putting an older duck through anesthesia. I follow this couple's journey with the implants for their girls. It seems promising!

https://www.dustyandotterduck.com/

I was quoted 3k. This was not including follow up care, surgery only. They said she could have complications, which would be expensive and possibly fatal.

Fortunately we were able to modify her environment and avoid surgery! I don't know if this could help your duck, but if your duck has time and your vet thinks it could work maybe it is a good step before major surgery?

So, Thimbleberry has had different reproductive issues off and on for 5 years. Last summer her abdomen was very distended but she wasn't laying. They did an ultrasound and found that she had dozens of egg follicles in different stages of development just hanging out in her abdomen.

The treatment was to feed her only scratch (and a few bites of maintenance since she's 6 now, when we did this when she was 2 she wasn't allowed any), give her a strict 10 hour daylight schedule, and destroy nests and move her stuff around daily. The theory is that her body will not have the nutrition required for making eggs. She will think it is winter, also not time for making eggs. And that after a hurricane blows through you also shouldn't have babies!

The vets didn't know if it would work, they said sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. They said if it didn't we would try birth control implants. If that didn't work we would have to spay. Within a month my ducks abdomen was no longer distended. They redid the ultrasound and she barely had any follicles hanging out! And she feels great. She walks faster and jumps higher than she ever has!! She used to be so sleepy, too.

I would never do this without veterinary consultation and approval. Also, it is a lot of work. We had to black out the entire coop and we really are a slave to duck bedtime. We can't let her eat even a bite of layer food, even though she wants it!! But spaying a duck is not like spaying a cat or dog. They told me that it is almost impossible to get all the reproductive tissue out, so future complications are likely.

For us it worked great and has been worth it to avoid surgery. Maybe this will be completely unhelpful for you! But just in case I thought I'd tell you what helped us.

Good luck, let us know what happens!

my vet said 3-5k depends on age and breed because of there unique respiratory systems and failure to stay dry they don't always make it she said that is a very invasive and unique surgery and a lot of money

Hey did you get any quotes for the cost of spaying? My duck is old and keeps getting egg bound, I think she could really benefit from being spayed.
I have an older duck with reproductive issues. I've completed "turned off" her laying with environmental changes. My veterinarian guided me, and it was very effective. I discussed it in detail above.

Back
Top Bottom