Special needs chickens contest

i tried the container idea a while back and it just wasn't strong enough. how were the wheels attached to the yogurt container - or was that stationary in your case? I would like her to improve strength in her legs, get her elevated off the ground, and entertain the idea of her moving around on her own via wheels

Mine was stationary. I was trying to get my chick just to put weight on the leg so by putting him in the container he would put weight on his leg trying to get out of the container. If you can find some small swivel wheels you might be able to make a smaller scale chair. What I am thinking is something more along the lines of barrdwing's design. I don't know how handy you are but I would cut out two circles of wood or maybe a small rectangle and hollow out the middle (like a wheel). Then I would use small strips of pine cut to the height you need for the chick to be able to touch the ground with the wheels attached to the bottom of the structure and then staple material to the contraption and cut holes for the chick's legs.

Or you might be able to just reinforce a container with some wood and attach the wheels to the wood. I am just throwing ideas out there :0)

another note is that it has to be lightweight as she is only a couple months old. wood mighr be too heavy until she's older

The light weight part is the challenge. My wheel chair doesn't really work very well in dirt and gravel. He can get around on the porch and I put him in the dirt in his chair sometimes but he doesn't really move the chair when he is in the dirt. He usually throws himself out of it and takes a dirt bath.

Also, make the center of gravity low or weight the bottom a bit. When I tried to reproduce barrdwing's chair, it was too tall and he kept falling/knocking the chair over.

Last edited:
This is Jack (short of Jack Frost) he lost his feet to frost bite and he is just a joy to be around!

Attachments

• 60F24823-1FA3-4B9E-8981-59A8089BF48A.jpeg
    60F24823-1FA3-4B9E-8981-59A8089BF48A.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom