Specialty feed for a chicken that has digestive problems

Emrosenagel

Songster
Oct 2, 2020
Hello!

I’m really going through with one of my hens. It’s been a month now and her crop never wants to empty all the way. It isn’t hard, isn’t exactly squishy. Feels normal-ish most of the time. She poops all the time, all normal; eats and drinks if she can; acts completely normal. Ive tried all sorts of things to get it to empty, but to no avail.
I read somewhere that she may have an intolerance to her chicken feed, so I was thinking of trying out some new feeds for her. Right now she’s eating purina flock raiser and occasionally layena. Any suggestions on feed I could try?

Thanks!

Hello!

I’m really going through with one of my hens. It’s been a month now and her crop never wants to empty all the way. It isn’t hard, isn’t exactly squishy. Feels normal-ish most of the time. She poops all the time, all normal; eats and drinks if she can; acts completely normal. Ive tried all sorts of things to get it to empty, but to no avail.
I read somewhere that she may have an intolerance to her chicken feed, so I was thinking of trying out some new feeds for her. Right now she’s eating purina flock raiser and occasionally layena. Any suggestions on feed I could try?

Thanks!
Eats/drinks/acts completely normal. Crop feels normal-ish most of the time.
If you have been treating a month, then I'd give it all break.

Let her eat/drink and do her normal chicken things. If she starts to act sick or is in a state of decline, then revisit the crop issue.

Same hen as this other thread?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/strange-jerking-and-crop-not-completely-emptying.1617381/

Hello! The vet did an xray and couldn’t see any blockages. Her gizzard is packed right with grit, which I think might be the issue. The vet seems to think it may be inflammation lower down, but my hen had a big egg in the way so she couldn’t see. She sent us home with meloxicam for ant inflammatory, just in case that’s the problem.

I went to another vet today and they found a mass in her reproductive tract, pushing the gizzard down. It might be a tumor, might be an infection. We will find out after an ultrasound on Monday.

Eats/drinks/acts completely normal. Crop feels normal-ish most of the time.
If you have been treating a month, then I'd give it all break.

Let her eat/drink and do her normal chicken things. If she starts to act sick or is in a state of decline, then revisit the crop issue.

Same hen as this other thread?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/strange-jerking-and-crop-not-completely-emptying.1617381/
Yup, same hen. She even went broody last week, had to break her out of it. Laid her first egg since then today. She still jerks her crop, and now her breath is a little stinky (smells just like the feed) but acts normal.

If you're feeding her flock raiser, are you providing oyster shell in a separate bowl? "All flock" type feeds are usually higher protein, less calcium.

Probiotics can sometimes help with digestive and crop issues...not saying they'll fix hers or not but worth a try.

If you're feeding her flock raiser, are you providing oyster shell in a separate bowl? "All flock" type feeds are usually higher protein, less calcium.

Probiotics can sometimes help with digestive and crop issues...not saying they'll fix hers or not but worth a try.
Yeah I have oyster shells mixed in, and i can give her some probiotics I suppose. Can’t hurt!
Chicken breath should smell somewhat like their feed.
really? I thought it should have no smell at all. It hadn’t before a few days ago, at least not as strong. I’ll have to smell the other hens breath to compare (what an odd sentence lol)

Yeah I have oyster shells mixed in, and i can give her some probiotics I suppose. Can’t hurt!
Oyster shell should be offered in a separate dish/bowl and always available. If they need it, they'll eat it; if not, they won't. It's also better for the roosters, chicks, and any non-layers as they don't need extra.

Oyster shell should be offered in a separate dish/bowl and always available. If they need it, they'll eat it; if not, they won't. It's also better for the roosters, chicks, and any non-layers as they don't need extra.
They always, always spill the bowl when I put it separate. I can get the girls layer feed though, since the hens are separate from the pullets and chicks. I just haven’t gotten to the store yet and had the flock raider on hand.

Back
Top Bottom