SPeckled Hamburg: Pretty(Annoying)

LindsayRae

Songster
8 Years
Jun 16, 2015
Southern Pines, NC
I have a speckled Hamburg, raised from a chick, who is 7 months old now. She is a new breed for me. I'm not sure if I like her that much. She is wild, and flighty, and will not let my other younger hens eat, sleep in the coop, or be near the others. She is pretty much causing my new hens to go hide all day long. I put her up last night in a dog crate in hopes that, over the course of a few days, the other hens and my rooster will come together..
I did this with a mean hen when she was torturing some new girls and it worked. I am hoping this works or she might have to go bye-bye.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. She also hasn't laid yet. . . I'm 100% sure she is a hen and she doesn't make regular chicken sounds. She sounds like a dinosaur :)

I have a speckled Hamburg, raised from a chick, who is 7 months old now. She is a new breed for me. I'm not sure if I like her that much. She is wild, and flighty, and will not let my other younger hens eat, sleep in the coop, or be near the others. She is pretty much causing my new hens to go hide all day long. I put her up last night in a dog crate in hopes that, over the course of a few days, the other hens and my rooster will come together..
I did this with a mean hen when she was torturing some new girls and it worked. I am hoping this works or she might have to go bye-bye.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. She also hasn't laid yet. . . I'm 100% sure she is a hen and she doesn't make regular chicken sounds. She sounds like a dinosaur :)

:frow from Carthage.

If you don't like her and she's a bad fit in your flock there's no reason not to sell her and use the money to buy chicks of breeds you like better.

In our area I find that I can generally get $15-20 for POL pullets of known breeds on Craigslist.

I had a mean hen just a month ago that my neighbor kicked out of his coop. I volunteered to take her into mine, and she refused to integrate. The other hens HATED her because she was so mean. She got out and I couldn't catch her, but she'd come back and torture them from outside the run every day. I took her to the farm down the road. If I'd have kept her, I'd have named her Jezebel. She was NASTY!

If you don't like her and she's a bad fit in your flock there's no reason not to sell her and use the money to buy chicks of breeds you like better.

In our area I find that I can generally get $15-20 for POL pullets of known breeds on Craigslist.
I might have to. Just today all the chickens are getting along fine. ... Ill

IMG20220922111956.jpg

Juanita is her name! She's so pretty. Blue legs and ears. Her two buds were murdered y the neighbors dog and I swear she's been crazy since.

Hi! I used to live in Southern Pines a few years back.
I might have to find her a new place. The flock is doing great today. I wish I could keep her separate until the young hens were bigger than her. That might help!

Back
Top Bottom