Pics

gwells1980

Songster
Jan 3, 2023
Kentucky
Hello! and I hope you follow along and enjoy this breeding plan.

PLEASE OFFER SUGGESTIONS AND CRITICISM WHERE NEEDED! Don't worry about pulling punches, I'm a grown man, I can take it.

To start I am going to say I first saw the Speckled Sussex chicken when I was 14 years old (I am now 42) and have since that day wanted to raise some. Somehow every time I was about to get one something would happen that would make it impossible for me to get it. They were always more of a unicorn than a chicken to me, beautiful to look at but impossible to catch. Until tonight.

A wonderful couple in Southeast Ohio had an amazing male and female pair and after about 6 hours of haggling, was willing to trade them to me plus a really nice Buff Orpington Hen for 2 Sapphire Gem Pullets and 2 Light Brahma Pullets for his breeding project. (He has the largest Light Brahma rooster I have ever seen, I believe they are wanting to breed some super-giant brahmas! 1 of the pullets I traded him is 6 months old and already was pushing 7 pounds, she will be massive as well. Good match.)

Please take time to look at the pictures, I will post better ones tomorrow I got them home late, and tell me what you think.

Rooster (Name - Champ) - 2 Years Old
1st - We had a vicious winter this year as everyone knows, and the Rooster suffered frostbite on his comb. Instead of letting it stay with the damage it could cause him, they chose to remove the narcotic tissue. So now his comb looks very NON-SOP - He can never be showed now but that is okay, he is going to be used as the breeding rooster in my project.
2nd - He doesn't appear to have a lot of white speckles on him from the angle of the original pictures but his chest does have a lot. Better pictures to come.

The Hen (Name - Rose) - 1 Year Old
Please look her over and tell me what you think. What traits should I try and emphasize and do you notice any problem areas.

IF ANYONE HAS THE S.O.P. FOR SPECKLED SUSSEX PLEASE SEND IT TO ME. I have looked and can't seem to find it.

20230314_222035.jpg 20230314_222030.jpg

Hi, I can't advise on your birds at all other than to congratulate you on finally fulfilling your childhood dream and wishing you luck with them. However, I do feel I should comment on your roost as a minor adjustment or two would be good for your birds' health. Your roost bar needs to be rotated a quarter turn so the wider surface is topmost, to give them a wider surface on which to perch; it would strain their feet less. And if you could possibly move the perches farther from the coop wall, they would be more comfortable as well. Um... it's hard to tell from the pictures, but is there ventilation in the coop? Adequate ventilation prevents both the buildup of ammonia in the coop and also condensation, which can be very dangerous, giving rise to frostbite and respiratory issues. Sorry, I guess that's three criticisms.

Hi, I can't advise on your birds at all other than to congratulate you on finally fulfilling your childhood dream and wishing you luck with them. However, I do feel I should comment on your roost as a minor adjustment or two would be good for your birds' health. Your roost bar needs to be rotated a quarter turn so the wider surface is topmost, to give them a wider surface on which to perch; it would strain their feet less. And if you could possibly move the perches farther from the coop wall, they would be more comfortable as well. Um... it's hard to tell from the pictures, but is there ventilation in the coop? Adequate ventilation prevents both the buildup of ammonia in the coop and also condensation, which can be very dangerous, giving rise to frostbite and respiratory issues. Sorry, I guess that's three criticisms.
Don't apologize that is what I needed to hear. The coop was originally built when the sapphire gems in there were a lot smaller. Didn't really think to far into the future and made parts to small, I will be fixing that tomorrow as well as moving the larger roosting bars further from the wall. There is ventilation. It is just on the side that can't be seen. Also, the entire top lifts up on hardware cloth wrapped 4 by 4 by a few inches to provide extra ventilation. I just haven't yet because it has been very cold. I designed it to come out in winter. Maybe I should rethink the hardware cloth and enclose it with wood with grates that open and close. That may work better and be better for the chickens.

BigBlueHen53 Thank you for taking the time and reading my post. If you ever come across the SOP for Speckled Sussex's please let me know.

You're most welcome. You need ventilation in winter, too, and it won't hurt them as long as it's not a draft that blows directly on them. Remember, they're birds, and if the cold doesn't kill sparrows and cardinals, it won't kill chickens either. As long as they don't get wet, they'll be fine.

I have a couple (4) SS but I know nothing of the SOP, sorry. Have you done a search here on them? We had a lovely lady here named Sumi who used to do breed studies, she has since passed away, I don't know if she did one on Speckled Sussexes or not. Do you know how to search the site?

Sussex have a flat back slightly sloping to 45 degree tail set. Moderately large head with stout beak. Cock- 9lbs, hen 7.5 lbs. Cockerel 7.5, pullet 6.

That should get you going, hatch a lot then cull for body type. Size and silhouette.

Speckled is mahogany with every feather tip white and black band lower web of feather. Main tail feathers are black and white; sickle and coverts are black with lustrous green shine and white tip.

Last edited:
Thank you Egghead_Jr. Should the black band that separates the white tip from the mahogany shine in the sun as an iridescent green or should it be flat black?
Do you know if there are a preferred number of points on the comb? I have seen some breeds should have 5 points while others should have 6.

Thank you Egghead_Jr. Should the black band that separates the white tip from the mahogany shine in the sun as an iridescent green or should it be flat black?
Do you know if there are a preferred number of points on the comb? I have seen some breeds should have 5 points while others should have 6.
I’m happy you are taking on the project of your dreams! I find breeding to the SOP to be very rewarding.
As long as your bird is healthy and lustrous, the shade of black doesn’t matter. You might notice the part where the white transitions to flat black to green black on the spangle. That’s because there is less pigment right there. It’s fine.

Your hen has far too much white for a one-year old. And the male has far too much black where there should be mahogany.
If I were you, would make it a goal to breed birds with tight, even, well distributed triangular spangles.
I can’t really judge type from that angle, though.

I’m happy you are taking on the project of your dreams! I find breeding to the SOP to be very rewarding.
As long as your bird is healthy and lustrous, the shade of black doesn’t matter. You might notice the part where the white transitions to flat black to green black on the spangle. That’s because there is less pigment right there. It’s fine.

Your hen has far too much white for a one-year old. And the male has far too much black where there should be mahogany.
If I were you, would make it a goal to breed birds with tight, even, well distributed triangular spangles.
I can’t really judge type from that angle, though.
how old would you suspect she is?

Back
Top Bottom