Speckled sussex feathers

Jul 22, 2021
My 3 speckled sussex hens are about 1 and 1/2 years old and going through their first molt right now. Since getting their first mature feathers late last year they had very small white spots at the end of their feathers but were mostly mahogany colored. Now as new feathers are growing in they have much larger white spots at the ends of their feathers and the feathers around their heads is mostly white. I'm curious if each year when they molt, will they get more white or is it just the first real molt that this happens? It's pretty cool they look like completely different hens just from new feather patterns growing in, I didn't expect them to change this much.

My 3 speckled sussex hens are about 1 and 1/2 years old and going through their first molt right now. Since getting their first mature feathers late last year they had very small white spots at the end of their feathers but were mostly mahogany colored. Now as new feathers are growing in they have much larger white spots at the ends of their feathers and the feathers around their heads is mostly white. I'm curious if each year when they molt, will they get more white or is it just the first real molt that this happens? It's pretty cool they look like completely different hens just from new feather patterns growing in, I didn't expect them to change this much.
I would be interested in reading what other Speckled Sussex keepers have to say.
The Light Sussex that I have known didn't change much in pattern after their final juvenile moult.

I currently have a single SS. She is on the small size. She came in an Aug. hatch. Even though she is little she is still feisty and will try and eat with the top hens. She may get kicked out, but she is there.

I found some pics of her before and after her first molt. I don’t have pics of her most recent, but will try to get one in the morning to add.
Before:
A35BFD2A-BAD9-4426-8F82-B268CADD3285.jpeg

After:
71515F2D-7EB4-450E-846F-81AFE548F352.png

I think it varies by bird - I've definitely heard about SS (or other speckled birds) getting whiter with each molt, but it doesn't seem to happen to all of them, or perhaps isn't as noticeable on some birds vs others. Mine didn't really change colors with molts.

Back
Top Bottom