Speckled Sussex losing weight.

Nimby Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Oct 20, 2010
Central FL
I spend enough time with my girls to notice weight differences when I pick them up and cuddle them, and I have noticed a weight drop in my speckled sussex, I.Q.

Shes not emaciated but I feel a difference. I have not observed worms in her poo or seen mites and she is the only one with this problem. She acts totally normal and eats like a pig. She is just about 5 months, not laying yet.

Ideas?

You didn't happen to buy her at a swap about a month ago? Cuz I bought 2 SS then from an older couple and their granddaughter. One died of crop impaction gone bad because I didn't catch it in time. The other doesn't gain weight well either but she's doing okay. I don't think they were fed good quality chick feed growing up.

Crop feels normal to me, not bulging or hard, and not soft either. Although I did hear some air come out of it while I massaged it - I figured that was normal since they gulp down things with such ferocity. Do chickens not 'burp'?

I hatched this little one from an egg I bought from the auctions here (Nancy/bargain) and she has been really healthy so far. Always has plenty of good chicken food and lots of treats - grapes and mashed peanuts today.

Well, that's good. Since she's eating and acting normal I would just keep monitoring her behavior. Maybe another chicken told her "those feathers make you look fat" and she's watching her diet.
lol.png

She's not molting but continues to feel skinny to me. She's much lighter than my buff orpington, Nimbynugget - they were hatched together and according to breed description Sussexes should be heavier at an earlier age...

What can I give her to fatten her up? I'm getting worried.

I found a mite on my sultan hen today! I think this is mite-related! I'm going to treat them all and the coop today.
smile.png
Hopefully they will gain again!

Back
Top Bottom