Speckledhen's Ten Commandments of Good Flock Management

Pics
I had read the whole thread about Gumpsgirl's chickens. It was really sad, and she went above and beyond to manage her flock back to health. Her story is one of those stories that's stored in my head.
After knowing SpeckledHen here, I would take her advice above most, and I have to say that since I've been a member, I have never gone wrong taking her advice.
My flock is closed (something I had learned from Cyn) My first 4 chickens were from a hatchery, but the rest were from shipped eggs or my own.
I did slip up and buy a silkie a month ago. She's healthy, thank God, but I sure sweated alot of days just thinking about her, she was in quarantine . But it wasn't worth all the worrying.
My closed flock means no live chicks/chickens added. Just eggs when I need some chickens.
And I have to say Thankyou for all the good advice I've gotten

Thank you, Karen. I'm just extremely cautious and try to head off trouble B4 it starts, just my nature.

One thing I think may help is to elaborate on carrier birds by analogy to the HIV or herpes virus since most of these chicken diseases are herpes-type viruses. Though avians and mammals are quite different, this is one way they are similar. Someone may not know chickens, but they probably are familiar with HIV or herpes. The virus, once in the body, never leaves; in other words, there is no cure. On occasion, when the compromised immune system is attacked by outside germs, infections take hold and the individual has to battle them with whatever drugs are available. The person, even when seemingly healthy, can infect others. So, with chickens, it's the same, if they are carriers of ILT or similar diseases. It is probably oversimplified, but I sense some confusion about what "carrier" really means and I hope this helps.

Sara mentioned that if one bird is ill, the others were probably exposed. Yes, true, however, you know that exposure does not necessarily mean infected. This is why maintaining a glowingly healthy flock is so important. A healthy immune system may not allow an infection, even upon exposure. You can be in a room with people with colds and flu and still not catch it. That's why if one bird is ill, the immune system is probably not up to par and the bird would be removed from my flock. Then I would observe the others to see if they developed any symptoms. If so, then I would have reason to have one tested to determine what the issue was. If you treat one respiratory infection, you may start a cycle of recurring infections in the flock, so that is where my reasoning comes from. Hope all this makes sense.

i am wondering, do you think having chickens that live outside 99% cuts down on resp. illness? (NOT implying people should go burn down their coops,etc. lol) but mine prefer being outside though they have access to lots of places. they only go in when it rains. they are very healthy. i have never lost one to anything but my own hunger. i know that when i go in people's coops, even a very well maintained one that is clean enough to eat off the floor, it makes my ashtma act up. again, NOT saying coops are bad, wrong, etc. just wondering if something similar happens for the chickens?

I would say that to a degree, you have a point. Outside is about as ventilated as you can get. Fresh air and sunshine and them eating what their bodies need while ranging certainly would help, I'd think.

cool.png

thanks for responding. it has just occured to me and i wanted to ask it but not get anymore shenanigans going.
smile.png

Nobody's perfect. But a closed flock to me is one that nothing but eggs may enter. Eggs make sense to me cause they have their quarantine time built in- the weeks before they're added to the flock. For me, 6-10 weeks.

Which respiratory ailments are "curable" and which make chickens become carriers? Does anyone know of a site that would explain or list them?
See, I guess since mine are pets, I would certainly try to get them better first, and have blood or cultures taken right away to see if it can be resolved.

Back
Top Bottom