Speckledhen's Ten Commandments of Good Flock Management

Pics
Do they have a heat source? They'll need one til they're around 4 months. (less if it weren't in the dead of winter) I would hook up an extension cord and put a light in their coop.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Does this include herbal wormers? I only ask this because someone told me I should be using an herbal wormer for preventative measures.

I am speaking of chemical wormers. Natural wormers are okay, but they are more preventatives that keep the worm load from becoming too much for the bird. I myself have given mine chopped pumpkin seeds and buttermilk. The curcurbit in the pumpkin seed paralyzes the worm so it can be expelled. and the acidity of the buttermilk helps the gut conditions, and that can be followed with a molasses flush to make them poop it out faster. However, if there is a huge worm load that is affecting the birds' weight, etc, I don't hesitate to use a good wormer. I don't know anything about herbal wormers.

A healthy bird can carry a small worm load without a big problem. I did not worm my flock until they were almost 2 years old. Before that, I used the pumpkin seeds weekly and never saw a worm in anyone's poop. When I did, I used a chemical wormer.

Quote:
Mine are just two months old now. Would you consider that okay to give an herbal wormer? I do give them pumpkin seeds when we have them.

I know I am Not speckled hen, so My views are a little different. I worm my flock every six months. This is because my birds are around alot of other peoples birds (Shows) and natural worms (live on a lake;herons geese and ducks always flying overhead and pooping). If you ever see a worm in poo, that means there is a HUGE load of poo, and they have trouble absorbing nutrients and are weaker. Worming also causes some headaches. You can't eat the eggs for 2 weeks (?) after worming, so if you depend on those eggs and can be a hassle. I also think, though not proven, my rooster isn't fertile after being wormed. So it is personal, and it depends on how bio-secure your flock is and your uses and needs of the flock. Mine are ornamental, if they were meat birds or possibly egg birds off the ground, then i wouldnt.
I have never seen a worm, and I hope i never do.

Mark

Quote:
Mine are just two months old now. Would you consider that okay to give an herbal wormer? I do give them pumpkin seeds when we have them.

@ Two months your birds should be fine. Pumpkin seeds in conjunction with garlic and stronger herbs can help with worms, though there is no scientific study, it can improve the longevity and lively-hood of your birds.

This wasn't what i was looking for, but I think it will be alot of interesnt while you guys are on the subject.
http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/5/5-2/herbs_for_spring_eggs_and_breeding.html
Mark

In five years of owning chickens, I have seen one worm in a rooster's poop, which precipitated the first actual worming, and one worm in one of my Ameraucana hen's poop, which made me do it again. Many folks never worm their birds until they begin to lose weight and look unthrifty. Free range birds eat things that are natural wormers, I've read. Mine do free range a few times each week so maybe that is why they rarely need worming. Birds penned 24/7 are more likely to need worming than free range ones. Your local climate and soil conditions may also make your situation different than mine. Pumpkin seeds are good for your birds for whatever reason!

I am helping some friends get started with chickens and decided to write this down for them. Am also showing this to my feed store. Plus, I decided that I need a little fix on this, too. Thanks again, Cyn.

thank you for this post! Hope you do not mind, I'm going to print it and hang it by the back door
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom