Spitzhaubens

Pics
I've been trying to figure out the color genetics & think it's a single dominant white dose that separates the chamois spangle from the gold spangle. Without it the bird is gold spangled, w a single dose it's chamois, and a double dose the bird ends up white. Anyone out there able to confirm or correct this theory?

there are some people up here you have some spitz, no one that is breeding them as far as I know.

I got on this thread back when I thought that I would get some... but then I never managed to get any!

I have stayed on this thread to give cheers out to all spitz owners, for some reason this thread is mostly dead.... and since I am fond of the breed, I didn't want to let it die.

I did get some from a hatchery for my baby sister that lives in Texas.

Crazy woman isn't fond of them, she says that she doesn't find them very attractive.

roll.png

I raised around 30 chicks then needed up selling off the parents and chicks last fall. Neat birds but moving to a 46 acre farm and going all layers. Plus I am adding more bee hives. This heatnis tough...been 100-103 the last few days....tough on a nursery and landscaper guy!!!

I have stayed on this thread to give cheers out to all spitz owners, for some reason this thread is mostly dead.... and since I am fond of the breed, I didn't want to let it die.

Crazy woman isn't fond of them, she says that she doesn't find them very attractive.

roll.png
I think Spitzhauben can be very beautiful, but I was unlucky enough to have my one straight run chick turn out male, and I find his crazy crest unattractive. I will see if I can find a photo.

Here are several, in the interest of keeping this thread active:

I also don't care for his weirdo nostrils, lol.

He was 13 weeks old when these pictures were taken. Does anybody think he will get much bigger than this? I wonder what he will look like in the end. I have noticed this week (15 weeks old now) that he is trying to mount the pullets, and they are not old enough to want to cooperate. He gets rebuffed.

I don't think he will get much bigger... He looks great in the photos... Maybe because I can't see his nostrils :lau

Anyway.. i think that Spitz look alot like Hamburgs... Yeah with a crest and a different comb.... Whatever.... Same general body shape, kind of flighty personality, some similar colors.... Anyway, I have Hamburgs... And he looks close to full grown Hamburg.

I really like that his crest isn't polish looking... That is hard to get sometimes.

Ha ha, thanks!

I just did an image search of Hamburgs, and you are right, other than the top of their heads, the rest of them looks the same!

Well, I will give Gloria a chance to finish developing before making any final judgments about his looks. I'd like to be able to let him stay, as long as he gets along with my Cream Legbar rooster, and doesn't cause any other problems. And I'd like to give him a more masculine name, but I haven't come up with anything I like yet.

there are some people up here you have some spitz, no one that is breeding them as far as I know.

I got on this thread back when I thought that I would get some... but then I never managed to get any!

I have stayed on this thread to give cheers out to all spitz owners, for some reason this thread is mostly dead....  and since I am fond of the breed, I didn't want to let it die.

:rolleyes:

What kind of birds do u have up there? Which r ur favorites? R there any issues w shipping eggs to Alaska?

Shipping eggs is always a giant gamble..... But I don't think we get worse hatch rates than the rest of you.... Most mail gets flown up here, so maybe less truck time than some...

I have Dominiques... Which I think are the best all around practical bird, especially for cold climates.

I also have Leghorns... And I am raising up a new crop of shipped egg leghorns this year... I wanted a better rose comb leghorn rooster.

I have a flock of Marans that I am working on improving...

Then in bantams I have blue laced red wyandottes, wheaten Ameraucana, and I just got a batch of lots of colors of d'anvers.

My favorites? I guess the Dominique first, then a tie between the Leghorns and d'anvers (i think, since those are just chicks)

Back
Top Bottom