Spitzhaubens

They look a bit older than a month to me, but yes, I agree with your gender predictions.
Spitzes are attractive, fun birds.
thank you. I think it’s pretty close to a month here is a picture, not the best quality, of them on the 15th. They were snuggled down in the straw under a heat lamp. We lost a couple because we had them in the outdoor brooder on our porch and a cat got in and attacked them . These 2 are our survivors and so sweet!

Attachments

• 3898B2C7-20C6-483B-B375-C65C1DCB050E.png
    3898B2C7-20C6-483B-B375-C65C1DCB050E.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
They hatched!!!!!
:wee
Spitzes.jpg

6 out of 6 Spitz eggs hatched! The last chick hatched this morning, but the siblings decided to peck at its navel. I applied some Veterycin and am keeping the chick in the incubator for an extra day to see how it goes.

Today is day 21. The Serama & Spitz eggs have all hatched, and the Orpington eggs are just starting to pip.

15BFB31B-CD8C-4F19-9807-A62533170EE2.png
51966B24-F189-41D2-868F-7F8A5CC534DC.png
I was comparing two of my chicks that are the same age, and noticed one has a larger comb with the distinct V shape, and the other is still just little nubs. They are 3.5 weeks old.

This is my first time dealing with the breed, and I was wondering if the comb could actually tell me anything at this point or not. Thanks!

Last edited:
View attachment 1740386 View attachment 1740387 I was comparing two of my chicks that are the same age, and noticed one has a larger comb with the distinct V shape, and the other is still just little nubs. They are 3.5 weeks old.

This is my first time dealing with the breed, and I was wondering if the comb could actually tell me anything at this point or not. Thanks!
I’m new to Spitz’s BUT at only 4 weeks of age there seems to be a huge difference in our 2’s comb/wattle. Only time will confirm their gender but I’m thinking in the next week or 2 you will start seeing more comb growth.

View attachment 1740386 View attachment 1740387 I was comparing two of my chicks that are the same age, and noticed one has a larger comb with the distinct V shape, and the other is still just little nubs. They are 3.5 weeks old.

Great close up pics!!!! Keep taking pics and comparing them over the next few weeks. Hopefully you can identify patterns that may help others.

I tried this and basically couldn't guess gender until almost 6 weeks (when little red wattles started to develop), but I couldn't really confirm gender until 8 weeks. Both genders get flushed if excited or warm, so that also made it difficult.

Great close up pics!!!! Keep taking pics and comparing them over the next few weeks. Hopefully you can identify patterns that may help others.

I tried this and basically couldn't guess gender until almost 6 weeks (when little red wattles started to develop), but I couldn't really confirm gender until 8 weeks. Both genders get flushed if excited or warm, so that also made it difficult.

Back
Top Bottom