Spitzhaubens

I don’t have spitzhaubens but I noticed you said that they “flush” when excited or warm. I have two silver Phoenix hens that I swear their cheeks go pale and then bright red. I thought I was seeing things but to hear that it is possible makes me feel safe to admit I’m not seeing things lol! Spitz’s are on my “want” list, that’s why I was stalking this thread, they are so beautiful! :love

Here was a batch at 2.5 weeks (A, B, C)
baby b1.jpg baby a (1).jpg baby c.jpg

Here was the same batch at 4 wks
A
IMG_0299.JPG IMG_0298.JPG

B
IMG_0326.JPG IMG_0319.JPG

C
IMG_0311.JPG IMG_0313.JPG

Here was the same batch at 6 weeks. (A, B, C)
a2.jpg b2.jpg c1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0326.JPG
    IMG_0326.JPG
    461.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 7
I don’t have spitzhaubens but I noticed you said that they “flush” when excited or warm. I have two silver Phoenix hens that I swear their cheeks go pale and then bright red. I thought I was seeing things but to hear that it is possible makes me feel safe to admit I’m not seeing things lol! Spitz’s are on my “want” list, that’s why I was stalking this thread, they are so beautiful! :love
I agree, especially the fancy colors:

20161206_142626.jpg
20170606_185912.jpg
20170805_130326-1-1-1.jpg

So do females grow any of the horned comb? Like some other breeds get small combs and wattles? Or is it only the Roos? If only Roos then our lighter Spitz is definitely a roo. Still no “horns” on our darker spitz. I’ll need to look closer tomorrow, won’t be home till after dark tonight.

Edit:

I forgot to say
A=Male
B=Female
C=Male
The males started getting red faces & wattles which is how I knew.

I got a little spitz in a surprise box last fall. Love her! She has a great personality and is an egg laying machine.

I read back several pages, you all have some lovely birds. I like the black/white combo!

A friend bought a couple Spitz chicks from me a couple years ago, & her Spitz rooster is magnificent. Although he too likes to crow, he's great with their hens and not people aggressive at all. Like many roos, he may not desire to be picked up, but once being held, he's calm & relaxed.

I've been following a different spitzhauben directory and found this one by accident this morning. I still have so much to learn about how this site works....:confused:

Here is the roo Faraday was talking about. Doesnt care to be caught, but a sweetie if you are lucky enough. Doesnt even like me to take his picture....(ignore the clipped wing, we needed him to stop going back to the orpington on the other side of the fence...that was a 2 week process)
20190326_184008.jpg
20190326_182611.jpg

He had the prettiest sickle feathers too, but burnt them off in the heat lamp. I'm already remedying that problem!

Back
Top Bottom