Spitzhaubens

Got my first little white eggs yesterday. I had just noticed several squatting a couple days before. Only one looks mature in the wattles and comb so I think both eggs were hers and I just didn’t find them in the back of the coop until yesterday.

I think I’m going to keep these two. They are my most dominant so maybe they will fit right in with my flock. Since I’m not breeding I decided to keep Red based on personality and Purple because she’s pretty. Red is very curious and already climbing on her first time free ranging so she may not be happy in my smaller backyard and may end up at my in-laws. She’s just always the first to greet me and I like her forward crest.

Attachments

• D3A59B78-302F-4C94-808C-D03D6B555BC1.jpeg
    D3A59B78-302F-4C94-808C-D03D6B555BC1.jpeg
    587.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 3BA6FAF8-45E7-4610-8547-8E74F0B626AA.jpeg
    3BA6FAF8-45E7-4610-8547-8E74F0B626AA.jpeg
    720.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 73BBF525-EA92-47CA-8DE7-E47B746122BA.jpeg
    73BBF525-EA92-47CA-8DE7-E47B746122BA.jpeg
    488.7 KB · Views: 12
I think I’m going to keep these two. They are my most dominant so maybe they will fit right in with my flock. Since I’m not breeding I decided to keep Red based on personality and Purple because she’s pretty. Red is very curious and already climbing on her first time free ranging so she may not be happy in my smaller backyard and may end up at my in-laws. She’s just always the first to greet me and I like her forward crest.
Thanks for the update.

(Is that a green growing something in the background???) :eek:

Beldar supervising egg laying. He actually got in one of the nests to show the old hens where to lay....We've only had one egg so far this year, so it's all new to him but he's doing his job. I will be curious to see if any of the leghorn eggs are fertile.
nesting.jpg

Beldar is also polite to humans and to the flock. So far tho, the only fertile eggs are from the Spitzhauben pullet, who just began laying. She is laying them outside, on the ground tho. Maybe the older girls are kicking her out of the nests. I added another nest option this morning. The weather is warming, I'll spend more time observing the flock and try to figure out what is happening. I know she goes into nests, and acts like she wants to lay there.
there are 5 hens, and now 4 nests. At least 2 hens haven't resumed laying yet, including Moonshine, the little Sebright, mom to the Spitzes. Beldar dances for her and she evades him.

Sometimes it takes a little while for them to figure out where to lay them. Most of my new orp pullets have finally at least figured out to lay them at least inside the coop. Still have a few that keep depositing them in front of the nest boxes. A few weeks ago it was a daily Easter egg hunt!!😂

Back
Top Bottom