Spitzhaubens

Thank you, they were excellent and hardy birds, but quite a bit off standard. I also had their sister, and you could definitely tell by looking at her that they'd been crossed with Polish at some point. They were also much larger than they should have been. My gold and chamois came from Greenfire, so I consider them to be the closest I have in type to the standard, even the blue gene line I have is closer in type than the silvers were. The thing is, I liked the silver boys so much better than my more pure lines. They were just...more fit in the biological sense. The pure GF males are kind of ...dainty? uppity? entitled? The blue line males seem to be a good middle ground, but they're just not as savvy as the silver boys were. I totally love the GF and blue females, more so than the silver female, but she also had kind of a street smart spunk that I don't really see in the pure lines. They were very much more Texan than Swiss! (Lol, I totally just pictured Jim Bowie holding a Swiss Army knife.) One of those chicks in the photo is the silver cockerel I'm not too crazy about, but maybe he'll surprise me and fill out this summer.

Attachments

• 20211019_184620.jpg
    20211019_184620.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 3
Thank you, they were excellent and hardy birds, but quite a bit off standard. I also had their sister, and you could definitely tell by looking at her that they'd been crossed with Polish at some point. They were also much larger than they should have been. My gold and chamois came from Greenfire, so I consider them to be the closest I have in type to the standard, even the blue gene line I have is closer in type than the silvers were. The thing is, I liked the silver boys so much better than my more pure lines. They were just...more fit in the biological sense. The pure GF males are kind of ...dainty? uppity? entitled? The blue line males seem to be a good middle ground, but they're just not as savvy as the silver boys were. I totally love the GF and blue females, more so than the silver female, but she also had kind of a street smart spunk that I don't really see in the pure lines. They were very much more Texan than Swiss! (Lol, I totally just pictured Jim Bowie holding a Swiss Army knife.) One of those chicks in the photo is the silver cockerel I'm not too crazy about, but maybe he'll surprise me and fill out this summer.
Aww!

Quick question: At about what age do their crests start to appear (as chicks)?

Aww!

Quick question: At about what age do their crests start to appear (as chicks)?
You can see a little nub when they're born, but I've never really paid attention I guess. Everyone has a tiny one as their heads start to feather, then one day they're just all feathered and the crest is there. They all look the same for a while until the boy feathers start to come in and their crests fill out. I have a cockerel in the yard right now that I keep mistaking for one of the grown hens because of it.

Looking at chick photos from a hatch on April 29th, I can see a definite crest bump on May 4th, with a few wing feathers,
1651099390198.png

May 9th, wings feathered
1651099735540.png

May 18th, mostly feathered, but still a week or two to go.
1651100032180.png

And then the boy feathers start to come and and all the sudden....

1651100853586.png

Back
Top Bottom