Splash ameraucana hen with lavender orpington roo

VSR

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2023
North Central Texas
I have 3 new splash ameraucana hens that are gorgeous that lay blue eggs! I only have one roo that is a lavender orpington. If I was to hatch the eggs what could be the possibility of chicks coloring? I’ve tried doing my own research but not quiet finding the right answers and lavender and blue genetics is confusing to me. Will I have a chance at hatching splash offspring still or will they take the black genes? Also say I raise up those chicks will they lay blue eggs or tan like my lavender orpingtons or will it create a greenish color egg? Has anyone ever hatched this cross or something similar? Would love any advise or pictures!! ❤️ also would the chicks have tufts like my ameraucana ?

Attachments

• 2B317BA4-78F7-4F1C-A171-C11BE8D6BD2D.jpeg
    2B317BA4-78F7-4F1C-A171-C11BE8D6BD2D.jpeg
    511 KB · Views: 102
  • F31F84CE-C01B-415F-829B-0D06F899F2A1.jpeg
    F31F84CE-C01B-415F-829B-0D06F899F2A1.jpeg
    474.4 KB · Views: 70
Lavender is a recessive gene, so when a Lavender bird is bred to any other color, it acts as Black in that cross. When you breed Black to Splash, you get 100% Blue in the offspring. Since one parent is Lavender, all offspring will also carry the lavender gene. So your chicks will end up having Blue plumage and only carrying the lavender gene without expressing it.

Your hen, being an Ameraucana, should be pure for the blue egg gene, the beard gene, and the pea comb gene, so all offspring will inherit one copy of all of those genes from her and have small beards and pea combs that are taller than their mother's comb because of the influence of their father's comb. As far as the eggs go, the father, as an Orpington, should contribute brown egg genes to the mix, so yes, the female offspring should lay greenish or turquoise eggs instead of pure blue like their mother's eggs.

Heres my 7 week old with Lav. Orp roo and EE hen.

Attachments

• 2538719D-A500-48D3-8E27-216514C116FC.jpeg
    2538719D-A500-48D3-8E27-216514C116FC.jpeg
    455.3 KB · Views: 76
Lavender is a recessive gene, so when a Lavender bird is bred to any other color, it acts as Black in that cross. When you breed Black to Splash, you get 100% Blue in the offspring. Since one parent is Lavender, all offspring will also carry the lavender gene. So your chicks will end up having Blue plumage and only carrying the lavender gene without expressing it.

Your hen, being an Ameraucana, should be pure for the blue egg gene, the beard gene, and the pea comb gene, so all offspring will inherit one copy of all of those genes from her and have small beards and pea combs that are taller than their mother's comb because of the influence of their father's comb. As far as the eggs go, the father, as an Orpington, should contribute brown egg genes to the mix, so yes, the female offspring should lay greenish or turquoise eggs instead of pure blue like their mother's eggs.
Not exactly on topic but even if it’s silver laced. I have a hen who is half black amerucana and half lavender, she is fully black. I had a hen who was half silver laced Wyandotte half lavender and also turned out fully black but both had white wing tips as chicks. Now even the amerucana mixes chick is fully black who was a mix with some sort of barred mutt with some lavender.

I’ve had a couple rare cases, where they just so happen to get the lavender gene and turn out lavender barred. Very gorgeous but I only have one right now and I’m not entirely positive she will inherit the barring like tofu did

Back
Top Bottom