Splash Maran?

Pea comb and muffs, not a Marans. Likely an Easter Egger or Olive Egger. 

Oh no! I've got them all mixed up! I guess the only Marans I have are the Splash cockerel and the Black Copper - she's definitely the one laying the dark brown eggs. I have another Easter Egger - but she's colored differently but has the muffs and small comb like Blue (who's not! Lol). She lays beautiful light turquoise eggs. I'm still new to raising chickens and I don't know how to identify the specifics that make up a breed standard. I really appreciate all your patience and help!

Last edited:
My olive egger looks a lot like the hen in this picture that they are calling a "blue olive egger":

Maybe that's what I have?

Sounds like you got eggs from a mixed flock that had Marans, Easter Eggers, and Olive Eggers in it. You got mixed breed Marans not mixed variety Marans.

Guess I got ripped off. They were advertised as pure Marans! SMH
1f627.png

Oh well. They are good birds. Not heavy layers, but sweet - even the Rooster. He's not aggressive at all. I imagine their offspring will be very interesting indeed!

Not heavy layers, but sweet - even the Rooster. He's not aggressive at all. I imagine their offspring will be very interesting indeed!
"Sweet" in a rooster counts very heavily for me. Your blue hen looks very like mine, an olive egger, except mine has a little more comb. She's crested cream legbar x splash marans and lays a pretty olive egg.

Your hen is blue in color, but I agree she's not a pure Marans. The breeder could easily have had Marans and Ameraucanas and crossed them for an Olive egger project, that's what she looks like to me. Breeding her to your splash cock would give you blue and splash offspring and the pullets could lay anything from olive to different shades of green to blue eggs.

I'm with you on the temperament. That's number one for me.....Thou Shalt Be Nice
big_smile.png
. After that is Thou Shalt Be Pretty
lol.png
. If I've got to look at you every day, I should smile when I see you.

I think you'll have a lot of fun hatching out eggs from those birds.

Guess I got ripped off. They were advertised as pure Marans! SMH
1f627.png
They can only be sold as pure Marans if they are pure for both breed and color. Mixing color varieties together does not produce 'pure' breed birds. That's one thing about chickens that is a bit different than other animals. Breed isn't just defined by pedigree/lineage. A bird must meet the general breed description and be one of the recognized color varieties. Crossing different colors of the same breed creates birds that are technically mixed breeds.

Back
Top Bottom