Splash Orpington??

MelissaBA

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 10, 2014
Can someone confirm if this is a Splash Orpington...I bought him yesterday and he doesn't look like the pictures online.

Yes, he is a splash Orpington. They vary quite a bit, splash has no standard, probably because it comes out in all sorts of ways.

Here is a thread with a young splash Orp out of my own blue rooster from a few years ago. You can see he isn't "spotty", more streaky.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/311816/thor-visits-the-vet

Last edited:
Thanks so much guys...speckledhen, where are you from? I notice your profile says southern blue ridge mountains. I am in Virginia...

Hmm, I didn't think of lavender. He could be, but if he came from a BBS flock....but you know, some folks get that lavender gene mixed in with the blues and you get some like that, Rachel.

Melissa, did the seller say he was splash? Mention the flock he/she has? Lavenders have not been on my radar since most of them do not have good Orp body type yet, or they don't in my opinion. I don't think it's straight lavender, if it is at all.

He seems to have some sun fading/brassiness like blues tend to get which is one reason I still think he's splash, but Rachel could be onto something. I do think that lavenders have more even color throughout the body, or they should have, but if they mix with blue, this can happen.

My friend Jody's lavender rooster:

Last edited:
The seller said splash, but the seller also had black orpington's and lavender orpington's.

The seller said splash, but the seller also had black orpington's and lavender orpington's.

I'm still saying he's splash, Melissa. I've seen so many different variations of splash and most folks know not to mix the lavenders with the blues. If they do, you get a blue carrying lavender, generally, if I remember my genetics. I've had a lavender bantam hen. The color is even throughout the body. He may carry lavender, depending on what the seller did with the birds, but I'd breed him as if he's in the blue/black/splash family. Some of my splash males had slate legs, some had white legs (different lines) so they can be all over the place.

Hopefully, you have him quarantined for 4-6 weeks so you can be reasonably sure he's not carrying anything. It's not perfect but it's a minimum you can do to keep your flock safe from disease.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom