Lazy Farmer

Gallus gallus domesticus
7 Years
Feb 28, 2017
Florida Peninsula
My Coop
My Coop
Last weekend was another hatch for us. On the second day, we had some assisted hatched. 3 were sticky and had thick umbilical cord issues. Usually along with that comes leg splay etc.
The 3 did have splayed legs. 2 were minor but the last was bad. We did our trusty chick handcuff method and 2 were corrected in less than 2 days.
This little dude was the worse case scenario baby. But today he is standing and taking baby steps!
IMG_20170803_113228.jpg

Happy to report he is on the road to recovery. He has had to been hands on hydrated since hatch. Today he can stand and drink. His legs are still a little outwards but they were backwards and upwards. He is going to make it!

IMG_20170803_113142.jpg

I have wrote a short and basic article about these braces if you are interested on making them in advance and having them handy in your Chicken First Aid Box. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-we-correct-splayed-legs-on-new-chicks.72873/

IMG_20170803_113319.jpg

Moulded Javas are very docile and grow big fast. I'll keep the brace on for another day or two before reuniting him with his hatch mates. So far we have successfully used this method on several occasions. All with positive results.
We run still air incubators and have humidity control problems periodically.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story and recent success. And of course having the opportunity to share..
FC:)
IMG_20170803_113355.jpg

Last edited:
I need some advice. I just had a hatch, on day 21 6 hatched fine, by day 22 one more hatched and 4 chicks had died in the process (after eggtopsy I noticed that their yolks never absorbed, I think maybe the humidity was too high and they drowned?). The last chick to hatch head splayed legs I noticed today (it's one day old now), so I made it braces as written in Farmer Connies post and other recommendations. It still won't stand, it's legs kind of go behind it, could it be it's hips aren't positioned correctly? As soon as I get the kids down for nap I'm going to remove it from the brooder with the other chicks and try to give it water, will a kiddos organic electrolyte mix be ok for it? Also I read that any vitamin drops were ok to give it so long as here is no iron?

Last weekend was another hatch for us. On the second day, we had some assisted hatched. 3 were sticky and had thick umbilical cord issues. Usually along with that comes leg splay etc.
The 3 did have splayed legs. 2 were minor but the last was bad. We did our trusty chick handcuff method and 2 were corrected in less than 2 days.
This little dude was the worse case scenario baby. But today he is standing and taking baby steps!
View attachment 1100081
Happy to report he is on the road to recovery. He has had to been hands on hydrated since hatch. Today he can stand and drink. His legs are still a little outwards but they were backwards and upwards. He is going to make it!

View attachment 1100087
I have wrote a short and basic article about these braces if you are interested on making them in advance and having them handy in your Chicken First Aid Box. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-we-correct-splayed-legs-on-new-chicks.72873/

View attachment 1100090
Moulded Javas are very docile and grow big fast. I'll keep the brace on for another day or two before reuniting him with his hatch mates. So far we have successfully used this method on several occasions. All with positive results.
We run still air incubators and have humidity control problems periodically.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story and recent success. And of course having the opportunity to share..
FC:)
Amazing tip, great post!

Segregation is a must. We place it propped between 2 rolled up washcloths and in a small tray with a paper towel liner. Sometimes it take a few days before they can stand after building up some strength. My last one hatched monday and just started standing today. A chicken electrolytes plus vitamins supplement.
IMG_20170803_152824.jpg

DO NOT PLACE HER NEAR A WATER DISH!
SHE COULD DROWN!!
You have to hydrate her for a few days until she gets strong. We heard a childrens vitamin B supplement in liquid form is good too but never did it nor know the amount to use.

Last edited:
Update..
I placed the little unfortunate chick in a the rim of a water dispenser. She or he.. Haha, was able to climb out and not swim face down! Awesome! My biggest chore sometimes is keeping a crippled chick hydrated manually in fear of drowning. I have removed the rolled up washcloth supports and placed a water feeder in with her.. I have been grinding starter crumble on pulse setting to give her a softer diet & just replaced it with OEM feed. Everything's positive at the moment. Good news for a change. Good news on another all day rain effecting my larger livestock medically now. End the day on a positive note!

Back
Top Bottom