Sprained/broken "ankle"???

ash_en_em

Songster
5 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Northeast Ohio
I noticed one of my girls had a bit of a limp this morning. I watched closely and she's eating, drinking, scratching for food just fine. She sort of skips instead of walking, but it's getting around with my other girls while free ranging. She also laid an egg right on schedule for me this morning. I picked her up, and she curled the injured foot's toes around my fingers, so I don't think it's broken. It is definitely swollen though around the foot/ ankle area. I checked, no raised scales, no bumble, or any other surface wounds that I could see.

Looking to see what you guys think. (Please see pictures below)

If it is broken/ sprained, can I treat it at home? If so, how? Is there a way I can do so without separating her (my flock has wonderful harmony and she's not being picked on)?
20180821_165937.jpg
20180821_165557.jpg
20180821_165907.jpg

Please help... any advice is welcomed. This is my first year keeping chickens and I really love my girls. I don't know if I should wrap it, take her to Columbus (there's an avian vet there but I know that will be expensive), put her in a little crate, or just observe for a few days and go from there?

Back
Top Bottom