Sprattle Leg?

rzimmerer

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 16, 2012
Hello,
I have been reading through some posts to see what is wrong with one of my chicks. I read some posts about sprattle leg and some remedies for it but am not sure if this is actually what my chick has.
I received 50 chicks on march 21st of this year. just 2 days ago one of my chick's right legs stopped working right. The foot and knee seem just fine but the leg splays out from the hip. There isn't anything high for her to jump off of in order to sprain it, and they have all been on wood shavings their whole life, so no slippery surfaces. Any ideas of what this could be or if you think it is this spraddle leg thing? If it sounds like it, should I use the band aid remedy posted in another thread on backyard chickens?
Thanks for the help!

From what I have been researching it seems like this problem usually arises within the first couple days of the chick's life. My chicks are nearly 1 month old and the problem just arose a couple of days ago. Is my chick too old for the bandaid trick? All the websites I read said the bones/muscles had to be still forming and rather "soft". I don't know when this stage ends for chicks.

Back
Top Bottom