Pics
I love true blue Americaunas. They are pretty and sweet though I did have one roo that was the meanest roo I ever had. I got him because a friend of a friend said “her husband wanted to kill him for Sunday dinner.” Swarlos as he was called would chase people and especially children in the neighborhood and he was becoming a terror in the community . Slowly he warmed up to us after I tried for several weeks to soften him. He was a 35 lb black rooster and we won a few fairs with him. Most Roos I’ve had of ameracaunas are sweethearts as long as they are handled from a chick like most chickens.
My feed store is a family owned and run and get most of their chicks locally or from town line hatchery in a Michigan. I saw the blues and thought they were like sapphire gems but they are sex linked Plymouth rocks created from a barred rock male and a blue Wyandotte female where the gems have a blue Andalusian as the parent. They are supposed to be very docile.

Nobody knows that the SG's are Andalusian. Andalusians have white lobes and lay white eggs. A lot of chicks are being sold as SG in farm stores, or as Blue Rocks, or Blue Production, and who knows what they are exactly. I have 15 SG's from Hoover and they appear Rock to me. People are breeding their own Blue hybrids and calling them SG's too. I see them in craigslist locally, already. At this point, everyone is cashing in on the Blue Craze.

Last edited:
Nobody knows that the SG's are Andalusian. Andalusians have white lobes and lay white eggs. A lot of chicks are being sold as SG in farm stores, or as Blue Rocks, or Blue Production, and who knows what they are exactly. I have 15 SG's from Hoover and they appear Rock to me. People are breeding their own Blue hybrids and calling them SG's too. I see them in craigslist locally, already. At this point, everyone is cashing in on the Blue Craze.
How old are your sg? I would love to see pics. My rural king always has a few I’m tempted to buy some and compare them to the Plymouth rocks that I have coming. Townline site says they are a barred rock roo and blue Wyandotte hens. It creates a sexlinked chick I’ve always loved blue and black chickens.

Last edited:
How old are your sg? I would love to see pics. My rural king always has a few I’m tempted to buy some and compare them to the Plymouth rocks that I have coming. Townline site says they are a barred rock roo and blue Wyandotte hens. It creates a sexlinked chick I’ve always loved blue and black chickens.
Mine are 6 months. I have one that is around a year. I got her just before she started to lay, and she is what spurred me to order some from Hoover. They come quite varied.
Resized_20190113_123224.jpeg
Pretty birds, smart, and friendly. This one, Lucille, sits on my lap for pettings.
20190321_161525.jpg

20190321_161519.jpg

20190321_161415.jpg
20190321_162026.jpg

20190321_170318.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still ""patiently"" waiting for my first batch of chicks to ship on April 2nd :he..the breeder and me are both in Ohio so should be next day delivery :fl..the bantam batch is coming from Maine to Ohio..I have no idea how that's gonna work out, never had chicks shipped that far before:confused:

I'm still ""patiently"" waiting for my first batch of chicks to ship on April 2nd :he..the breeder and me are both in Ohio so should be next day delivery :fl..the bantam batch is coming from Maine to Ohio..I have no idea how that's gonna work out, never had chicks shipped that far before:confused:
I'm waiting on mine still, too. Originally he said third week of March. I'm getting impatient. Mine are in my state too, so hopefully it's a next day shipment.

The distance and their survival depends on transportation connections and schedules as well as temperatures and handling, which are dependent upon the individuals handling the chicks along the way. I don't have a large data set but it appears that spring survival rates are higher than summer. I've had a box get to northern Maine from Cackle Hatchery in MO 100% alive on arrival (May) and I've had chicks from OH arrive 60% expired (August).

Yours should be fine. :thumbsup Send good vibes for prompt connections and considerate folks handling them. There are a few uncaring drivers that just toss them in the truck with the rest of the mail and then there are the ones that coddle them in the cab, make sure they are warm, talk to them and don't jostle the shipping boxes. :love

Please post pics - I can't wait to see your wee ones! :wee

Back
Top Bottom