"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Hi everyone! I hope I am posting in the right place to join the Hatch-a-Long, this is my first time. I live in Alaska and I am completely new to chickens. I just built a brooder and bought my first four chicks this weekend (three cream legbars and a jubilee orpington mix), and then I have eight eggs that I just set on April 3. Four eggs are Svarthona and four are lavender Orpington. I have a used incubator that is tiny and I think it is of dubious reliability, so I have another one on order from Amazon that will hopefully put me more at ease. I am undertaking this with only the guidance of the internet, and I'm happy to have found BackYard Chickens! Good luck, April hatchers!!

My chicks are hatching. Multiple pips one guy that was the first to pip over 18 hours ago pipped the wrong end. Hasn't made any progress since don't know if he's dead. I want to open the bator and grab him and see if he's still alive and needs help. But that goes against all my lockdown rules. Do I jeopardize 15 + more pipped eggs to save one. Help me make this call guys jezz.

OK so I eggtopsied the shipped eggs that made it to lockdown and they all had their beaks pointing to air cell and unabsorbed yolk sacs. Thoughts?
*Edited to remove autocorrect error.
CHICKS Wet? Sticky? Stuck? Yellow Gel? What did I do Wrong? post #25379

Swollen abdomen? A WET chick? or infection post #24810
Eggtopsy possible Sticky chick post #35087

I like to call it being "supportive" as opposed to "enabling" :D Ah! :thumbsup Calls are so tiny, you can have your set up done by the time they are feathered out & clingy & can leave the house! Then they will sit outside all day wanting you to hold them...or you could have a house Call...;) YESSSS house call sounds perfect!! :D I don't know why some would want to get rid of them. I hear they are considered a nuisance in some areas. !!! :idunno I loved & miss my Muscovy. If I can find eggs for another that's small like my Daisy was, I may have to hatch me another Scovy. :love Awww.... 91% hatch rate is awesome! So, you're keeping 10 chicks?! Lucky you!:ya LOL, I really wish! But 9 are bantams.... I already have 3 bantams..... And one of those 3 is sitting on 10 more eggs right now. :eek: If half hatch, I will have 17 bantam mutts. Yeah, it may sound strange to keep the duckies in the tub but lots of people put ducks in their tubs! It's actually normal.
Lol!

Back
Top Bottom