"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Quote: TSC had ONE yellow chick. YAY!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
The rest were little red pullets. Hoping that my son doesn't realize that the feather growth that the chick has is a bit ahead of schedule since these are last week's chicks, they are a week old. She was the smallest chick in the bin as well by just a bit so it should help with the shuck'n jive on him. The last thing my son asked before getting out of the car at school was if I'd checked on the chick this morning. I was honest. "Yep. Checked on her."
wink.png
Nothing about her being dead but I did check on her. So now we have one yellow chick and five red chicks.

i have eggs in the bator 4 duccle and 3 marans we are on day 3 now!!!!!!!!!!!! yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WELCOME!!!

that means you can join the MAY HAL too!!

Land of the Free
Because of the brave!
May 2016 Hatch-a-Long

Hosted by, Mike & Sally

x4pBI1yPsT5GRgmRIpLgZ4PL-mxQQN4GohCMuDHqCThEYQR_Aohiq98SBT1dE7fx2K--f8IIqzORlUqjEgcyn1tbObBWN3_r6sZ94j__8u5h9DNUxiF5b7Od-OfH9pl8IuMmN9CO

Have Eggs in the incubator/s or under hens

ANYTIME

in MAY, 2016 to join us!

COOL New CONTESTS

w/ fantastic Prizes donated by…

i-kDcTPGfk1qTz7wqbYaWDF1SVWWLyDeZPfnT6Qq5WhIQQDYaFjgup8RJ1NafnbTG0JCGEDNCWpaTS7SrthAevspyg49BCYFZ6_ntlcBCR_Norca-Torkt_te3b1P2wJ-1QeZK0w

Remembering Our Fallen

Random Drawing to be chosen from the stories.

If the winner doesn’t want a coop $250 MPC credit.

Poultry Shaming Photo Contest

Show your Stripes! Patriotic Poultry

Patriotic Party! Red, White & Blue Recipe/Photo Contest

Shouldered Poultry Photo Contest!

Poultry in Nature! Photo Contest

Natural Eggs & Flowers Photo Contest!

With everything that's been going on, this incubation has FLOWN by for me!!! We lockdown tomorrow night! And sometime tomorrow, I need to get out, clean the brooder pen and transfer the last batch of chicks (EHAL chicks) we've got barnyard mixes, cuckoo marans and BO's as well as exchequers, Americana and black maran (supposedly...I'm still trying to figure it out...)
1f602.png

This current hatch will be salmon faverolle, welsummer and our barnyard mixes which are barred rock, EE, black sex link and black jersey giants.

Three pips now lots of peeping and singing and wiggling. Two pipped at about 4-5pm yesterday.

I'm so nervous. How long should I wait after those external pips to worry that they aren't unzipping yet? It's been 15 hours!
barnie.gif

I also have 4 with no pips, and today is the due date. Can I water candle them tonight, or wait another day? Should I check for internal pips with the flashlight if there's no activity by tomorrow?

I know, just sit only hands and wait... I can only bake so many cakes though!!!!

Three pips now lots of peeping and singing and wiggling. Two pipped at about 4-5pm yesterday.

I'm so nervous. How long should I wait after those external pips to worry that they aren't unzipping yet? It's been 15 hours! :barnie

I also have 4 with no pips, and today is the due date. Can I water candle them tonight, or wait another day? Should I check for internal pips with the flashlight if there's no activity by tomorrow?

I know, just sit only hands and wait... I can only bake so many cakes though!!!!
It can take up to 24 hours before they start zipping... so you have another 9 hours before you should be concerned. Deep breaths, Jenny... deep breaths. Have you tried baking pies and cupcakes??? :lau

Give the others an extra day or two before checking them. You don't want to open the bator unless absolutely necessary...

Last edited:
Quote: thank YOU SO MUCH FOR being so HELPFUL to others and pulling info for them from the notes section

umg-rdc_41.jpg

Finally I caught up!
celebrate.gif

Right now I have 3 ducklings hatched and 1 that is zipping. 14 eggs just went into lockdown and my 9 bantam eggs are on day 7 but don't see any veins at all
hmm.png

wee.gif

@mlm Mike I redid the math and that nanny should be due May 30-June 29. The lady said she was bred in January, but couldn't remember the date. But she had only calculated 120 days gestation.

So I have a whole month to learn everything there is to know.
1f601.png
1f601.png
awesome!! cant wait!!

@Chaos18
Monday update:

Ameraucanas: 8 set, 8 to lockdown, 7 hatched
Delaware: 6 set, 5 to lockdown, 5 hatched
Maran: 8 set, 7 to lockdown, 3 hatched
Welsummer: 8 set, 7 lockdown, 3 hatched
Olive Egger (Whitmore Farm): 6 set, 5 lockdown, 3 hatched
Olive Egger (Richmond CL): 13 set, 12 lockdown, 10 hatched

Total 31 chicks. Still have 11 eggs in the bator plus tossed 2 that died while piping. Of the eggs in the bator, all but 1 seem to have chicks in them. Last night was day 21 so if there isn't a pip tonight I will float test them. Still have 5 silkies in the bator at day 19 right now.

Here are some pics. PS...yes, some chicks are green. I made the mistake of trying to use food coloring on their feet (don't ask) and all that succeeded in was coloring the whole lot of them green. Thankfully I came up with a better solution. You know those bands that they use for braces? Perfect size for chicks for the first week or so. (My kid never wears her bands as often as she should so we have lots of those packets)

One of my poor "green" chicks. And his band on his leg to help tell which are what breeds.

All my babies staying toasty under the heating pad.

A few peepers out and about.

awwwww congrats!!
Got my incubator all scrubbed out and now have my six geese eggs set.. here goes another learning experience. Hopefully I will have a hatch.....
1f601.png

WELCOME!!! you joining the MAY HAL too?> https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...f-the-brave-hatch-a-long-hosted-by-mike-sally

Color coded my babies for a photo shoot this morning there are 2 yellows that are a week old and the rest are a week and half old.
HOW CUTE!!!! love those baskets!!!

still hatching started 24th due 25th The wants out !!

these HRR they are bright red flash lighted them. Broody hatched them. Light one cochin bantam

24th hatching
some wheaten Ameraucana chicks I guess the rooster I went all the way to Sacramento isn't pure. Getting some strips on their backs....With the Wheaten rooster that died the chicks were always pure yellow at birth. then within a few days their color would come in....
I know where my hens came from and have always been penned up. So guess I'll be looking for another good wheaten ameraucana roo....

Waiting we want out !!!!! LOL
AWESOME!!! let us out of jail!!!! lol

the mum came off the nest so the otther 2 got to cold but

awwwwwww

let them out this out of bator this morning
36 chicks
clb 18
ameraucana 2
sf 2
wh marans 4
wheaten 2
n/n bra 8
due to hatch today 11 eggs left in bator time will tell how many will hatch just about over

Ended up with 5 EEs. They are doing great and are soooooo darn cute! The dark one is hard to see in the pic but she's in there. I have a favorite. Shame on me. The lightest one is so pretty!

1 OE hatched... Not in the picture. But can't stand up very well. Poor thing keeps falling over and can only stand up if it hangs out with its left side near the wall. I swear it's body looks twisted. Like it's right wing is closer to the top of its body and it left wing is droopy. Hubby wants to take care of it... I don't wanna know...
clap.gif

My brooder babies. My how they have grown.

love.gif

Was gone this weekend, but came in for a few hours on Sunday morning to check the eggs. 1 zipping and 5 pipped. One not doing anything.

Came home this morning and had 6 keets waiting for me. Ready to come out. The one egg still not doing anything.

My six keets out of the incubator and into the brooder. Ate all their green stuff. They are napping now. They are so cute, like little peanuts. Still nothing out of eggbert. I'm going to give it another day.

clap.gif

Farmer in training patrolling the land and keeping a look out. She's a good girl!!

love.gif

Ok, here's my hatch! 21 of them! 6 CCL's from UrbanMamaHen, 4 girls, 2 boys, 2 Blue CM/CCL's and 1 Buff Orpington/CCL and 12 CCL's, 7 girls and 4 regular boys and 1 sport boy. I got these and the mixes from a wonderful lady in Temecula, CA.
love.gif

And so it begins. I had a feeling my eggs would follow suit of the last two batches, and hatch a day early. This evening is day 19, and I have a pip!!!
yesss.gif

While it's at the wrong end, I'm not too concerned at this time. I've hatched several that pipped in the same spot, and they've all been healthy and grown into healthy, happyy adults. It can take up to 24 hours before zipping begins, so I think I'm still on track for a Tuesday hatch. I only need another 18 pips... and 19 zips... then I can start to relax. Come on chickies!!!
fl.gif

wee.gif

Coolerbator is filling up quick. 35 have pipped and out of those 24 have hatched. 3 more are zipping now.

I love hatch day.
bun.gif

duckies first bath
love.gif

My phone doesn't produce great pics, but I use it more often than my "good" camera. I finally took pics with my "good" camera and I couldn't get the setting to be consistently unblurry. I'll have to work on the cameras a bit, but here are a couple pics:

The picture above is chicks from two different mamas. I don't remember which one hatched from which egg, but one has a Welsummer (dark brown egg) mama and one has a Crested Cream Legbar (pretty sky blue) mama. I think both have an EE/Ameraucana dad. These look like sisters, which is funny because their moms are named Anna and Elsa (I have a daughter that loves Frozen).

This is a chick that hatched 4/9. Hen is BCM. Rooster is Cream Brabanter. I'm guessing it will feather out like a crested BCM.

And my favorite photo of the day:
My rooster is from my first hatch here. He hatched from a "pure" Wheaten Ameraucana egg (purchased from what I now know was a not-so-reputable breeder- lesson learned). I named him BB after B.B. King. He enjoyed sleeping in my hand as a chick, and I am quite attached. I still make sure he knows I'm the boss, but he knows his job is to take care of his ladies. He posed so nicely for this picture.
congrats!!!

Back
Top Bottom