"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

how cute~~~!!!!

Thanks Sal :highfive:
How long do you usually leave unhatched duck eggs in?

Mine have been out in the garage brooder and have feathered in nicely, except for one. He's kinda ugly looking and feathering in weird.

The Pekin have not fully feathered out :/

A couple of the polish are looking decidedly ugly right now. Only four of them that hatched have enough white on them for Tolbunt. Others look just gold lace and there even seems to be a black one in there :(

Last edited:
Thanks Sal
highfive.gif

The Pekin have not fully feathered out
hmm.png

A couple of the polish are looking decidedly ugly right now. Only four of them that hatched have enough white on them for Tolbunt. Others look just gold lace and there even seems to be a black one in there
sad.png

Sorry I know nothing of Polish. Are Tolbunt only allowed to have a certain amount of white to them?

Sorry I know nothing of Polish. Are Tolbunt only allowed to have a certain amount of white to them?

:idunno

First time doing them but they need the white to be Tolbunt. I bought the eggs as Tolbunt but most of them don't have enough or any white coming through.
They should end up something like this ~

Can't see that happening with most of these :/

idunno.gif

First time doing them but they need the white to be Tolbunt. I bought the eggs as Tolbunt but most of them don't have enough or any white coming through.
They should end up something like this ~

Can't see that happening with most of these
hmm.png
Interesting. Sorry to hear that most probably won't end up looking like what they were sold as.

Well, I had a disaster this weekend.  My outside dog got into the chicken run and killed all of my hens.  I only had 4 in the run but he got them all, just for sport apparently.  He didn't eat any of them.  Fortunately, my 2 Icelandic chicks are still in the brooder inside.  He's a good watch dog but he may be going away.  I came real close to shooting him but then decided to think about it before I let my anger do something that I would regret.  If I decide to get rid of him, I'll give the rescue people a chance before I put him down.

Any advice on this is welcome.  Can a chicken killing dog be rehabilitated?  I really don't want to put him down but I still want to have chickens.

I think most people will say no. I say maybe. Only because of personal experience. I think the type of dog matters, ands it's willingness to listen to you. Prevention is also a factor. My dachshund was a chicken killer from the start. There was zero training her out of it, but she was bred to hunt small game so she has a high prey drive. Putting up a plank of wood she could jump over to get into the coop, but the hens could, helped safe guard them. My neighbors dog got one of mine. But i didnt realize it was him. Second time i caught him, gave him a firm swat and "no". Plus sending him home. After that i added wire mesh to lower the opening of the coop so hens could get in but dog couldn't. Since then they have been safe. I haven't see. Him attempt to chase them and he has been around a lot. For what its worth, he is a herding/working dog. And my herding/working dog, a malamute, has so little interest in them that if one is slaughtered by a hawk or coyote, i can toss the carcass to him. - thats just my personal experience.

I think most people will say no. I say maybe. Only because of personal experience. I think the type of dog matters, ands it's willingness to listen to you. Prevention is also a factor. My dachshund was a chicken killer from the start. There was zero training her out of it, but she was bred to hunt small game so she has a high prey drive. Putting up a plank of wood she could jump over to get into the coop, but the hens could, helped safe guard them. My neighbors dog got one of mine. But i didnt realize it was him. Second time i caught him, gave him a firm swat and "no". Plus sending him home. After that i added wire mesh to lower the opening of the coop so hens could get in but dog couldn't. Since then they have been safe. I haven't see. Him attempt to chase them and he has been around a lot. For what its worth, he is a herding/working dog. And my herding/working dog, a malamute, has so little interest in them that if one is slaughtered by a hawk or coyote, i can toss the carcass to him. - thats just my personal experience.
I agree. It depends on the breed... and their training capability. I have a pair of Dobermans that loved to give chase to my young birds when I first got chickens. I never allowed them to be around the chickens without close supervision, and when I first noticed their desire to chase the birds, they had to remain at my side at all times when we we among the chickens. It took a couple of weeks, but all I had to do was tell them "NO!", and they stopped. They now lay in the yard with chickens grazing all around them, and haven't attempted another chase. I can leave them out all day long, confident that nothing will happen. Small chicks on the other hand make my male drool and lick his chops... so they'll have to grow a lot larger before being exposed to Max.

I agree. It depends on the breed... and their training capability. I have a pair of Dobermans that loved to give chase to my young birds when I first got chickens. I never allowed them to be around the chickens without close supervision, and when I first noticed their desire to chase the birds, they had to remain at my side at all times when we we among the chickens. It took a couple of weeks, but all I had to do was tell them "NO!", and they stopped. They now lay in the yard with chickens grazing all around them, and haven't attempted another chase. I can leave them out all day long, confident that nothing will happen. Small chicks on the other hand make my male drool and lick his chops... so they'll have to grow a lot larger before being exposed to Max.

Hows it going Sir Ur?

Back
Top Bottom