"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

@billiejw89 Sorry to hear bout the chick. It happens. Probably would have had problems if it made it anyway. I hate loosing them.

@mlm Mike Thanks for the welcome. 21 days feels like forever esp. when you are looking at all the cute fluffy butts on the thread!

@Sally Sunshine here is he chick from the huge blue/green egg. I didn't think it was going to make it. It wouldn't stand and has slept since it hatched friday morning. But this morning it was up running around in short bursts in the Hatcher.

Last edited:
Oh where'd you get the Orpingtons from? Yes I think the cc stands for cuckoo. Also where are you located? Jw you said you had many hours and I was going to tell you if you end up with a spare blue cockeral I'm looking for one. Of course I would never turn down a hen too
wink.png
lol

Congratulations on the hatch and go check out the bielefelder thread the people on there are wonderful and biels are supposed to be great birds.

In fact congratulations to everyone on all the pips and peeps!!!!

@Chaos18
Update on my hatch. Put new batteries in my candling flashlight tonight. Wow so much better, I hadn't realized how dim it had gotten. Day 9.5 here and after my temp spike of 113 a few days ago I couldn't wait any more, as expected I lost a bunch of the eggs. I don't know how many exactly. I'm still sick and stupidly didn't count before eggtopsying them all into a big bowl. Ugh well I want digging through that of course. It was probably about 20-30 I can give a better total tomorrow or day 14 for sure.

There were some inferts and a couple really early quitters but most of the eggs I pulled look to have quit BC of that temp spike. Since that fiasco the incubator has been right on. There were two eggs that I got some really good looks at the embryos when I opened them up. Which was neat. We have always cracked eggs in Ziplocks previously which are neat but kinda amoosh the embryo.

Well guys if you can believe it I got my eggs down to one layer in the bator, well less than a layer actually. That have me a problem though BC we're turning the bator and the eggs would roll all over. Naturally I had to add more eggs lol.... Right? Lol I filled the whole making my staggered hatch worse. But I don't think any of the previously placed staggered eggs are doing anything. I'll give them a few more days to be sure.

I did leave some eggs in the incubator that I wasn't quite sure about so I'm sure I'll be pulling more at the next candle. All in all though I'm amazed any survived the temp spike despite that I caught it right away. Most of the eggs look really good. However nearly all of my buff Orpington's eggs were doing nothing. Quite strange and I wonder if it has anything to do with the chick that died that was missing an eye and leg earlier this month from under a broody. The hen that layed the egg and the father should be the same but aat the same time these two fathered several other perfectly normal chicks. Some of her eggs looked like inferts when opened and some were very early quitters only one or two of hers seemed to have quit BC of the temp spike.

It turned out a girl! And now, I have the boy! Only two of those eggs in there. Doing this for a friend. He said I could keep what I wanted. I want these two Bielefelder's, and the first blue that hatched. Hope it's a girl. :) Two more blues in the bator. I got these eggs from a friend, that got them in a few towns over. We are in Utah.

@Sally Sunshine here is he chick from the huge blue/green egg. I didn't think it was going to make it. It wouldn't stand and has slept since it hatched friday morning. But this morning it was up running around in short bursts in the Hatcher.

Glad the baby made it. Sometimes they take their sweet time coming around.

Have to say..love love your avvy! Selfies!

Well out of the 41 eggs. Thirty five are out and healthy. One I had to assist and there was bleeding. I have him in the bator he's moving and breathing. But hasn't opened its eyes yet. Don't know if will make it.

Well out of the 41 eggs. Thirty five are out and healthy. One I had to assist and there was bleeding. I have him in the bator he's moving and breathing. But hasn't opened its eyes yet. Don't know if will make it.
Congrats on the 35!
Always hard to see one struggling. Leave him in the bator for a while and hopefully he will turn around for you!

Hello Everyone!!!
frow.gif

Apparently my computer is protesting "multi-quoting" so after all that work, I lost my posting... Therefore, to all that have new fluff-butts, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
celebrate.gif

To those that lost some babies, I'm really sorry for your lose. It's never easy.
hugs.gif

Molly is a beautiful puppy dog, I love the photo of her getting belly rubs from that cute little girl. It's very darling!!!

fl.gif
Good Luck with all of the hatches currently in progress!!!

jumpy.gif
As for my incubating adventure, I have 14 chicks currently hatched and several others pipped. I'm expecting at least 5 more chicks before bed tonight. My chicks hatched/are hatching a little early but all seem well formed and healthy so far.
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom