"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Yes! It worked! Thank you so much! How soon do I need to try to fix its feet?
You're welcome. If you have Sav-A-Chick electrolyte, you should mix it with the water the chick will drink as soon as it goes into the brooder. If you don't, Gatorade is a good substitute. It could be caused by a riboflavin deficiency, and sometimes Vitamin B2 will fix it. I'd try this for a day or two to see if it won't correct itself. If it doesn't, then I'd try the "shoes" in conjunction with the other.

Every one is active and happy seeming I turned the temp down I'm going to see how the ones that are pipped are doing in an hour thank you very much for all your help I'll keep you updated
You're welcome. Panting is usually a sign of heat stress. Glad they're doing good now.

Last edited:
You're welcome. If you have Sav-A-Chick electrolyte, you should mix it with the water the chick will drink as soon as it goes into the brooder. If you don't, Gatorade is a good substitute. It could be caused by a riboflavin deficiency, and sometimes Vitamin B2 will fix it. I'd try this for a day or two to see if it won't correct itself. If it doesn't, then I'd try the "shoes" in conjunction with the other.

You're welcome. Panting is usually a sign of heat stress. Glad they're doing good now.

24 chicks in the brooder 20 australorp's and 4 ameraucanas. In the bator still is one wet australorp 5 eggs and 3 ameraucana eggs some pipped fingers crossed. Again thank you everyone for the help and reasurement.

First buff Orpington out. Took out of hatcher quickly as it was trying to get stuck by the incubator window. One more pip so far.

In other fun, I am at the emergency room waiting to see if I have blood poisoning or not. Can't catch a break lately.

Poor chick.....Not only did it have a terribly hard time getting out of the shell, it now has the cord still attached, and funky feet. It's only been out about 30 minutes. Can someone direct me to the links about toe correction?
I've had lots of chicks hatch that took some time for their feet to uncurl. It can take days for the ligaments to strengthen. Give it a bit of time. One chick from my last batch had a particularly bad foot, was almost always curled underneath. It straightened out on it's own after a few days. As long as a chick is getting around all right, I don't do anything about it.

Success!!! They are so cute

Back
Top Bottom