"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

First pip!

Woohoo!

Yesterday afternoon day 20, i was pretty discouraged thinking we werent going to have any hatch this time...I had discovered one of dear grandsons had turned the heat up to 108 for several hours around day 12, but kept on hoping and praying for the best. Last night we started hearing cheeps and noticed three pips, went to bed and woke up hoping for hatches, but found 10 pips and 1 zipped. After work only one had hatched by 3 PM...by 8 PM tonight a total of 9 have hatched,one is half way out, three are pipped and waiting for action on the other 9. It seems like it is taking longer this time for them to hatch out. the shells are harder for the chicks to get through or something. How many hours should I wait before it is absolutely needful to help? Does any one ever change the feed to a lower calcium level before setting any eggs?

Come on chickies!!

First buff Orpington out. Took out of hatcher quickly as it was trying to get stuck by the incubator window. One more pip so far.

In other fun, I am at the emergency room waiting to see if I have blood poisoning or not. Can't catch a break lately.
holy cow!

Got a second chick after getting home(ER doc says I look ok but keep an eye on it, and my dad lost the bet. Told him if he was wrong and I was OK he'd have to pay the bill for getting checked on). Think #2 is from my sole Aloha egg. No others yet, but hope to se more in the later morning (after I call in sick to work and sleep a lot)
Whew!! Glad to hear that you are ok!!

I turned off the bator for a second to candle. It was bedlam!

Then they settled down.

13 or 14. They're hard to count. I have 3 internal pips left on 5 eggs. It's still day 21 until after supper.
sooo cute!!

Here's 3 of 4 eggs that went into the hatcher.

All turned out royal palm.

4th egg had little hope it didn't make it late quitter.
Glad you got 3!

BTW.... Bantibator is DONE!!!! Fan is installed, turns on, runs, thermo controls lightbulbs....
wee.gif

-Banti
woot.gif

Okay, I candled tonight. My last batch of chicken eggs I saved (hoarded) and incubated the last of the eggs our roo' fertilized before he had to depart for freezer camp. So this is hatch #3 this month for me I am saying it is looking good based on tonights candling it looks like my results are going to be closer to the results for hatch#1 and much less like my hatch#2 failure. I used my still air for hatch #2 and the thermostat or heating element was apparently slowly biting the dust and I had temp and humidity variations that played into my failure. Obviously that incubator is now off duty until I decide if I am going to buy parts and give it an upgrade or just fix it to use as a hatcher and not incubator. SO anyway of the 24 eggs I had saved and put in the bator I have 21 that are looking good! The turkey and duck eggs for May are looking like they are doing their thing, though it is my first time doing duck/turkey so I am not as familiar with that as I am with chicken incubating.
Great!
So my husband sent me this text at work: "I thought you said there was only 1!!"

Apparently the other 3 pips popped in the last 5 hours... He said he couldn't see any more pips, but who knows. I will probably just leave them for a few more days to be sure.

woot.gif

Yesterday afternoon day 20, i was pretty discouraged thinking we werent going to have any hatch this time...I had discovered one of dear grandsons had turned the heat up to 108 for several hours around day 12, but kept on hoping and praying for the best. Last night we started hearing cheeps and noticed three pips, went to bed and woke up hoping for hatches, but found 10 pips and 1 zipped. After work only one had hatched by 3 PM...by 8 PM tonight a total of 9 have hatched,one is half way out, three are pipped and waiting for action on the other 9. It seems like it is taking longer this time for them to hatch out. the shells are harder for the chicks to get through or something. How many hours should I wait before it is absolutely needful to help? Does any one ever change the feed to a lower calcium level before setting any eggs?
Wonderful, congratulations!

First buff Orpington out. Took out of hatcher quickly as it was trying to get stuck by the incubator window. One more pip so far.

In other fun, I am at the emergency room waiting to see if I have blood poisoning or not. Can't catch a break lately.
Congratulations!

Woot! 4 chicks out and 2 pips.
Woot! is right

Quote: Awesome!

Success!!! They are so cute
A cute handful!

Got home, checked the other eggs, had a 5th pip that died. It was upside down. Nothing from the other 3 eggs. But the other 4 are lively and loud.
Sorry it died.

Got a second chick after getting home(ER doc says I look ok but keep an eye on it, and my dad lost the bet. Told him if he was wrong and I was OK he'd have to pay the bill for getting checked on). Think #2 is from my sole Aloha egg. No others yet, but hope to se more in the later morning (after I call in sick to work and sleep a lot)
Fingers crossed. Now what about this trip to the ER?

Good Friday morning everyone!

@Sally Sunshine
29 of 38 set made it to lock down.
13 EE's, 7 ameraucana, 6 leghorn, 3 Columbian Rock
Hatch due April 24
fl.gif
fl.gif

Good morning! Woke up and filled up the water in the resivore for lockdown! No external pips (day 18.5) but could hear cheeping! Humidity is now up and off to work I go. Can't wait for this weekends hatch
1f60a.png
Great news on the cheeping!

Good morning everyone great news here in Ontario Canada 25 chicks in the brooder 4 walking in the bator 1 more working on the egg and 4 eggs still in the bator not sure if they are pipped yet
Congratulations!

Little curly toe so I finagled an orthopedic shoe
smile.png

Awwwww

I turned off the bator for a second to candle. It was bedlam!

Then they settled down.

13 or 14. They're hard to count. I have 3 internal pips left on 5 eggs. It's still day 21 until after supper.
So much fluffy cuteness!

No more shipped eggs, out of my dozen I have 4 viable eggs. 5 were clear and 3 quit. I cannot spend $55.00 for 4 Amerucana chicks. So disappointed. That is asumming these 4 make it to hatch next week. I never expect them all to make it, but 5 clear??? Ok off my soapbox.

No more shipped eggs, out of my dozen I have 4 viable eggs. 5 were clear and 3 quit. I cannot spend $55.00 for 4 Amerucana chicks. So disappointed. That is asumming these 4 make it to hatch next week. I never expect them all to make it, but 5 clear??? Ok off my soapbox.
sad.png
sorry to hear of the bad results

Back
Top Bottom