"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Something is wrong with one of the chicks!?!? It is walking around with its head off to the side. It can straighten its neck but doesn't. Could it be a deficiency of some kind or maybe a nuerilogical issue?

Quote:
If your temperature was a little low the chicks could take a day or two longer to hatch. I'm a little younger than your mom, but not much. We have had our health issues here too. If your mom doesn't eat or drink much has she tried any the the liquids like Boost or Ensure? I'm a diabetic so I do use Glucerna. Sometime you just don't feel like eating and drinking but need something.
grouphugg.gif

Ok nevermind the guessing game.. either u yall r too slow or im too excited ...... ok maybe im too excited my fifth americauna top hat baby is out and another is pipped
big_smile.png
celebrate.gif

6 out. 2 pipped. 1 zipping. 8 with nothing yet.
wee.gif
fl.gif

Well of the 3 pips they still look the same as when I checked in the window at 1030 last night. I did wake up to a surprise EE hatch that I hadn't even noticed pipping. now... Tapping fingers impatiently for the 3 pips to progress and then signs of life from the other 17 eggs....
jumpy.gif
Congrats on the surprise, hope the rest start popping.

Something is wrong with one of the chicks!?!? It is walking around with its head off to the side. It can straighten its neck but doesn't. Could it be a deficiency of some kind or maybe a nuerilogical issue?

Possibly wry neck.......I think.

usually vitamin deficiency. Give it liquid infant vitamins 1-2 drops right in its mouth and put in the water. It will not hurt the rest of the chicks. Make sure you get IRON FREE. With my silkies this happens really young but last year I had 2 barred rocks do it about 6 weeks and they both straightened out with the vitamins.

Give it Poly-vi-sol without iron. It's an infants vitamin. Give it 1-2 drops a day, can also add a little to the water.

Quote:

I have one of those smaller waterers; maybe 32 oz. or so. How many drops should go into the water. Some of the chicks also have pasty-butt. So, there are probiotics in the water. Can I combine the vitamins and the probiotics?
I've seen where other will add about a dropper full to a gallon of water. So 32 oz you could add maybe 1/4 of the dropper. I don't think there would be any problems with probiotics and vitamins together.

Back
Top Bottom