Sprouting Oats for Chickens?

redsix

Songster
5 Years
Feb 14, 2015
Virginia
This is sort of a follow up to my post below. one sprout oats for their chickens? My wife found out that she is allergic to wheat, barley and rye which shows up in the eggs. The only other grain that may be available is oats. Are sprouted oats good to feed chickens?

This is sort of a follow up to my post below. one sprout oats for their chickens? My wife found out that she is allergic to wheat, barley and rye which shows up in the eggs. The only other grain that may be available is oats. Are sprouted oats good to feed chickens?
Chickens would love that, but the feed you buy at the store has those other ingredients.

You can buy a 50# bag of feed grade whole oats to sprout. YOU would need to be sure they are not heat treated and that they are WHOLE, not crimped! Oats alone will not be a complete nutrient for your birds, even if you do sprout them. What kind of test was done on the eggs that showed that the allergens to wheat, barley and rye were in the eggs?

I have been feeding the chickens sprouted wheat for some time. I figured the wheat proteins or what ever my wife is allergic to get carried into the eggs. I am also wondering if sprouting the wheat makes it less allergenic.

I have read that we all have a lot of corn protein in our bodies. Soy, Ditto. You really have to go on your own in this territory, Mod Med is not on your side. They side with Big AG.

I have been feeding the chickens sprouted wheat for some time. I figured the wheat proteins or what ever my wife is allergic to get carried into the eggs. I am also wondering if sprouting the wheat makes it less allergenic.

If she allergic to casein and or gluten (the protein that some people are allergic to with in the grains you listed) then they do not transfer to the eggs.

You can buy a 50# bag of feed grade whole oats to sprout. YOU would need to be sure they are not heat treated and that they are WHOLE, not crimped! Oats alone will not be a complete nutrient for your birds, even if you do sprout them. What kind of test was done on the eggs that showed that the allergens to wheat, barley and rye were in the eggs?
I have sprouted outs but not sure what to do once they sprout, do you just pull them and feed them to the chickens or do you cut the tops?

Of course it will be less allergenic. the sprout has expressed enzymes specifically designed to break down those proteins. Your digestive system will use those enzymes. The proteins, specially in wheat, are designed to make you sick. The fragments (peptides) are a lot less toxic.

Back
Top Bottom