Sprouts anyone?

Got my green lentils going and they are doing fab on day 3.
FE24551F-D536-485B-9045-E919A7158F2C.jpeg

I have sprouted alfalfa for salads (pre chicken days). I got the seeds and the yellow plastic cap with draining holes like someone pictured from Sow True Seeds. They have all kinds of mixes of sprouting seeds. Not the cheapest, but I really like doing business with them. I buy a lot of heirloom open pollinated vegetable seed from them every spring.

I plan to try quinoa and chia seeds this fall. Very cheap, 4-5 pound bags at Costco. They should last me a looooong time!

I have sprouted alfalfa for salads (pre chicken days). I got the seeds and the yellow plastic cap with draining holes like someone pictured from Sow True Seeds. They have all kinds of mixes of sprouting seeds. Not the cheapest, but I really like doing business with them. I buy a lot of heirloom open pollinated vegetable seed from them every spring.

I plan to try quinoa and chia seeds this fall. Very cheap, 4-5 pound bags at Costco. They should last me a looooong time!

I have tried quinoa and didn't have very good luck.

I sprout scratch for my chickens, I’m not sure of the exact science, but I only sprout until I see the roots, then I sun dry my batch, store and feed it to the birds over about a week. I think it’s enough to make nutrition available to the birds? Not sure, but it’s the easiest for me, and only takes about a day and a half
Do you use the scratch grain mix from feed store? If so, would I need to remove the cracked corn? What is your method?

I know that some of us grow fodder but does anyone do sprouts? I have been growing fodder but it takes a lot of space so I added sprouts. I can grow a jar of sprouts in three days and they take up lots less space. Right now I'm growing flaxseed, clover and broccoli mix and alfalfa sprouts. I'm also growing wheat berry and lentle fodder. They get a little something different every day. I'll have to add some photos :)

Anyone else doing sprouts?
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I can't grow it, but I get mixed sprouts from the store since I only have a few chickens. I also get ground flaxseed and mash pine nuts and sunflower seeds, etc. for extra treats now and then.

Back
Top Bottom