Sprouts anyone?

RebelChief

Songster
6 Years
Mar 7, 2014
Brownsville, TX
I know that some of us grow fodder but does anyone do sprouts? I have been growing fodder but it takes a lot of space so I added sprouts. I can grow a jar of sprouts in three days and they take up lots less space. Right now I'm growing flaxseed, clover and broccoli mix and alfalfa sprouts. I'm also growing wheat berry and lentle fodder. They get a little something different every day. I'll have to add some photos :)

Anyone else doing sprouts?

I’m not but I want to do sprouts in the winter! Can you tell me your process? And where you get your sprouting grains? I checked a Rural King near me and they tried to sell me deer patch seed. It was a small bag for an awful lot of money so I declined.

Also curious about your source - I have plenty of space, acres of it, but seed in quantity right now? Not a chance.

My birds are free ranging a mix of pasture grasses (for goats, not horses, if that makes a difference) overlayed with a bunch of clovers, sunflowers, radish, and some other scattered goodies. Mostly, they seem to favor my watermelons, squash, etc. As I didn't actually expect fruits/veggies from my squash and melons, I don't mind - they are just there for erosion control on a hill till other grasses can establish.

But next year, I'd like to have more planted for them, to supplement the feed store.

I sprout scratch for my chickens, I’m not sure of the exact science, but I only sprout until I see the roots, then I sun dry my batch, store and feed it to the birds over about a week. I think it’s enough to make nutrition available to the birds? Not sure, but it’s the easiest for me, and only takes about a day and a half

I’m not but I want to do sprouts in the winter! Can you tell me your process? And where you get your sprouting grains? I checked a Rural King near me and they tried to sell me deer patch seed. It was a small bag for an awful lot of money so I declined.

I am growing flax seeds in a terracotta dish like this lady:

For the alfalfa, clover and broccoli sprouts I am doing them in mason jars using a set of sprouting jars I got on amazon. Not necessary but I wanted to put them in a cupboard in the dark to get them going. After the jar is full I put them in a sunny window to green them up.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Mas...keywords=sprouting+jars&qid=1598150854&sr=8-5

I got the seeds on Amazon too. You only need a couple teaspoons to sprout.

Yeah that's not good to get ripped off.

This is like the idea of doing black oil sunflower seeds. But people also do field pea and barley, and other grains also.

Also curious about your source - I have plenty of space, acres of it, but seed in quantity right now? Not a chance.

My birds are free ranging a mix of pasture grasses (for goats, not horses, if that makes a difference) overlayed with a bunch of clovers, sunflowers, radish, and some other scattered goodies. Mostly, they seem to favor my watermelons, squash, etc. As I didn't actually expect fruits/veggies from my squash and melons, I don't mind - they are just there for erosion control on a hill till other grasses can establish.

But next year, I'd like to have more planted for them, to supplement the feed store.

I am doing everything in my house. I only have 12 chickens so I'm not growing a lot...just enough to give my babies a bit of green every day.

Back
Top Bottom