spurs?

calebs%20spurs.jpg

Those are spurs. Don't worry, silkies don't get mean looking spurs like that. Theirs are more like slow growing nubs. Those spurs are on a rooster who is 3 years old.

wow! thanks. . .those spurs are huge!!!. . .but, thanks!!!

while we're on spurs, why doesn't my rooster have any? spot is 10 months old, and has procreated quite well, but there are still no spurs, not even "nubbies". he also gets in the nest box, tries to roll an egg under him, and makes those purring sounds that hens make. my daughter and i joke that he's got a lot of "girl" in him. what do you think?

Quote:
He mates with the hens but doesn't have spurs and puts eggs under himself? Weird! Does he LOOK like a roo? Maybe he/she is one of those hens I keep hearing about that is the dominate hen that doesn't lay eggs and (for lack of better words) "humps" the other hens. Just a thought.

nope, he's a rooster. he has a big comb, big wattles, sickle feathers, and has fathered 4 babies. the only other chickens i had were the two bantam hens, and no other rooster in the pen to fertilize eggs. so i'm sure he's a male, but he sure acts like a female in the nest. he mates with the hens all the time, and neither of the hens act like they are trying to do that. out of the 4 eggs that hatched, 3 are roosters, and they have spur nubbies bigger than their dad's!!! i don't know. i just wasn't sure if having no spurs was common, never mind the hen-like behavior in a nesting box. maybe my little spot is just one of a kind!

LOL I beg to differ on the Silkie spurs. This is my 1 1/2 year old Silkie roos spurs.
100_2605.jpg

100_2606.jpg

Good thing he's a little sweetie
smile.png

Ps that's my DH holding him...didn't want you all to think I have hairy legs like that...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
sweetmama65000: Maybe your roo is a slow spur budder. I had a roo once who didn't start growing spurs till he was almost a year and a half old. Even when he did though they were round and slow growing. As for his hen behavior. My roo makes nests and clucks around. I think yours is trying to tell his hens that he made them a good place to lay their eggs.

Angie n Maine: Now that is some sharp silkie spur. My silkie roo is about the same age and his spurs are maybe a half inch long, flattish, and blunt as an eraser.

Back
Top Bottom