Square Footage per Duck?

I think it was easier to train my ducks to go up the ramp, then the chickens. Because as all duck owners know, ducks are way smarter then chickens

My chickens just didn't get the ramp period lol. They still fall off from time to time.

The ducks only "fall" off ... basically they jump off... when the pool is next to their house.

My new rouens and khakis are using my chicken tractor until I build a real duck house. They can use the ramp with some cokesing but I had to put guard rails on it or they go flopping off on their sides like penguins, going both directions. Also the 3:1 slope seems to be as much as they can handle. It's about 2 feet off the ground the ramp is 8 inches wide, the chickens would skip the ramp half the time anyway.

Hi all! I am in need of downsizing my flock as I just cannot afford to build another daytime enclosure. I have lightweight ducks, and they are free range all the time 8am to 8pm but I must return to work and I want to place whatever will fit appropriately in the 6ft by 7.5ft daytime enclosure on grass with a kiddie pool food and water. This enclosure will be inside our yard that has just the standard chain link fence that keeps the dog in and added safety for the ducks. How many ducks should be put in this daytime enclosure? We have a duck house for nights but getting the addition finished on that so the ducks are kept in our garage at night in a huge dog crate for a 130lbs dog. They hate the enclosure since they are such aggressive foragers all day long but, I want to make sure they have the acceptable amount of space when the time comes that I return to work. I've read the right amount of space is anywhere from 10sqft to 50sqft per duck...huge difference!

Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks says:

When medium-to large-size ducks are housed only at night, allow at least 2.5 to 6 square feet (0.25 to 0.55 sq m) of floor space per bird. If you anticipate keeping your ducks inside continuously during severe weather, a minimum of 6 to 8 square feet (0.5 to 0.75 sq m) of floor space per bird should be provided. Bantam breeds require approximately half the floor space of larger ducks.

and

The ideal yard has a minimum of 10 to 25 square feet (1 to 2.25 sq m) of ground space per duck, natural or artificial shade, a slope that provides good drainage, and no stagnant water holes or deep mud.

Back
Top Bottom