Squatting EE...but no comb at all?

lollimama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 13, 2011
My little EE, Dottie, has started squatting a few days ago. She and my other two EE's are 24 weeks old as of tomorrow. My question is, she has NO comb at all, her ears are red though and what should be a comb is red (just the slightly raised skin there I guess). Is that weird? The other two have the pea comb thing going on and one is really red and ready to go. Just curious what other people's experience has been...

I have a couple of BO's that started squatting, then laying within about 2 weeks. Their combs are nowhere near the same development as their flockmembers, who are also laying. All are healthy, I wouldn't worry about it.

Since EEs are mixed/hybrid breeds, their combs can look totally different - there are even single comb EEs. If what she has is bright and she's squatting, I'd think you'd be getting eggs within the next week or two. One of my 22 week old EEs started squatting just a few days ago, so I've been checking the nest box with anticipation each day - nothing yet, but I expect an egg from her any day now...
Two of my EEs have pea type combs, while a third girl has a minimal comb
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom