Squeaking Geese - no parasites

Your Oxine can be used to sanitize the bedding in their house I use for spraying down my roosts also so it won’t go to waste. I’m sorry it didn’t work hope the echinacea does
Oh yes, I'm keeping it. I put it in their drinking water. The article suggested 1/8 tsp per gallon. Plus I'll use it quarterly in the chicken coop and goose hut.

If you change your mind about the Tylosin you can purchase it without a prescription in powder form https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds?_pos=1&_sid=2b1e7ad05&_ss=r

You‘ll need 12 ml syringes to administer it orally. Don’t bother mixing it in their water, it’s extremely bitter and they won’t drink it.
Dosage is 40 mg per kg, twice daily.
Dosage can be as low as 10mg per kg but from my personal experience it isn’t effective in geese at a dosage lower than 40mg per kg twice daily.

If you don’t have a gram scale to measure it exactly I can show you how much to put in a syringe if need be.

Baytril is something else you could try https://birdpalproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10-liquid-for-birds?_pos=1&_sid=df4d5cc8c&_ss=r
Dosage is 0.05 ml per pound.

If your birds do have a fungal infection antibiotics should not be used unless absolutely necessary as they can worsen the infection. However it is difficult and costly to confirm. Asper can be sneaky and mimic symptoms of various diseases for awhile which makes it easy to mistake for another illness, but on the other hand from my own experience because of that it can easily become the “boogie man” of avian diseases, where everything appears to be asper.

High pitched coughs in my geese are usually a result of a secondary lower respiratory effect from an intestinal illness or a bacterial upper respiratory infection.

My gander Thor had confirmed asper and passed away from heart failure as a result of side effects of itraconazole. He had a high pitched cough but it had a weird pitch. His normal voice had also altered and had strange muted nasally pitch to it. Before that his symptoms were extremely non specific, his appetite wasn’t great, he wasn’t interested in eating, he was subdued and not really enthusiastic or excitable about anything, besides that there wasn’t anything that stood out.

If you change your mind about the Tylosin you can purchase it without a prescription in powder form https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds?_pos=1&_sid=2b1e7ad05&_ss=r

You‘ll need 12 ml syringes to administer it orally. Don’t bother mixing it in their water, it’s extremely bitter and they won’t drink it.
Dosage is 40 mg per kg, twice daily.
Dosage can be as low as 10mg per kg but from my personal experience it isn’t effective in geese at a dosage lower than 40mg per kg twice daily.

If you don’t have a gram scale to measure it exactly I can show you how much to put in a syringe if need be.

Baytril is something else you could try https://birdpalproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10-liquid-for-birds?_pos=1&_sid=df4d5cc8c&_ss=r
Dosage is 0.05 ml per pound.

If your birds do have a fungal infection antibiotics should not be used unless absolutely necessary as they can worsen the infection. However it is difficult and costly to confirm. Asper can be sneaky and mimic symptoms of various diseases for awhile which makes it easy to mistake for another illness, but on the other hand from my own experience because of that it can easily become the “boogie man” of avian diseases, where everything appears to be asper.

High pitched coughs in my geese are usually a result of a secondary lower respiratory effect from an intestinal illness or a bacterial upper respiratory infection.

My gander Thor had confirmed asper and passed away from heart failure as a result of side effects of itraconazole. He had a high pitched cough but it had a weird pitch. His normal voice had also altered and had strange muted nasally pitch to it. Before that his symptoms were extremely non specific, his appetite wasn’t great, he wasn’t interested in eating, he was subdued and not really enthusiastic or excitable about anything, besides that there wasn’t anything that stood out.
Thank you so much. I am sorry for the loss of your gander. That's very sad.
I shall let you know if I need help with the measuring if I end up using the Tylosin. I really appreciate the wisdom! I'm going to try several rounds of the echinacea and spilanthes and see how it goes. Spilanthes has the same alkamides as echinacea.

Hello all! Here's an update on my geese. As I stated, I didn't think that the oxine was doing anything, but I may be retracting that. I fogged them 3x a day for 6 days. I noticed the gander was beginning to have a bit of eye irritation directly after, so I stopped at 6 days. I had noticed that the squeaking was even more pronounced and frequent, and lost a bit of heart. Now I'm wondering if that was what some people call a "healing crisis." After a few days to rest from that treatment, I started them on echinacea and spilanthes tincture - .8 ml once a day. 4 days on, 3 days off. Duncan and Daisy are remarkable patient with me as I've been administering their meds.
Today marked the end of the second round. I have heard no squeaking or head shaking for over a week now, and their poops have returned to looking like compost sausages instead of runny mucus.
I'm cautiously optimistic. I am going to do 5 rounds of the echinacea/spilanthes blend.
I so appreciate everyone's input - that was so valuable to me. Thank you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom