Squeaking Geese - no parasites

I just started using oxine ah a couple days for similar issue with a couple of my ducks . at first the label scared me but i believe the warnings apply to the mixture only if you "activate" it with some other ingredient you would have to also buy, but we are only using it in NONactivated state. so Im not using a mask. Honestly I figure if I incidentally breathe a little of it will likely be good for me too :)
Let us know how it works for your ducks and I will as well. 🙏

I just started using oxine ah a couple days for similar issue with a couple of my ducks . at first the label scared me but i believe the warnings apply to the mixture only if you "activate" it with some other ingredient you would have to also buy, but we are only using it in NONactivated state. so Im not using a mask. Honestly I figure if I incidentally breathe a little of it will likely be good for me too :)
Jen, have you seen any improvement? I'm on day 5 and am seeing very little improvement with my geese. I stopped wearing a mask as I have some sort of virus myself and figure it may help me.

How long are you spraying into your ducks' faces? I put them in their little 4x4 hut and close off their exits and spray each one (I only have a pair) for at least 10 seconds. Is that enough? I'm doing that 3x a day.

Jen, have you seen any improvement? I'm on day 5 and am seeing very little improvement with my geese. I stopped wearing a mask as I have some sort of virus myself and figure it may help me.

How long are you spraying into your ducks' faces? I put them in their little 4x4 hut and close off their exits and spray each one (I only have a pair) for at least 10 seconds. Is that enough? I'm doing that 3x a day.
i think i’m in day 6 and i’m actually sitting here watching for the amazon delivery guy to bring the little nebulizer i ordered . i do about 30 seconds of mist spraying over her but was only doing twice a day because it’s hard to catch them outside anytime besides morning and evening. But now with the snow and ice and frigid temps, I have her inside my basement “cold room” with three other little ducks who don’t have the same problem as her, but one is old and molting one is partially blind and was shivering, the other is just my smallest duck and she was shivering too so I have those four downstairs and the other eight outside. I think the nebulizer will make a difference because it will break it down into micro size particles, that she can breathe in better. I’m going to put her inside a large dog crate with a towel over it, and hold the nebulizer up to it for at least a minute or maybe more.. it depends on how wet she looks after the first minute , because with the spray bottle even set to mist she was getting all wet. or maybe someone can tell us how long to do it? hint @Miss Lydia @New duck mommy 2021
I was also wondering if maybe too much spraying it’s not good for her eyes I don’t know?
when I was spraying her in the big duck house outside, the other ducks were in there too, and they were all freaking out and running back-and-forth, as if I was trying to murder them all with poison mist, but I figure the running makes them breathe heavier so Poppy probably got more in her lungs😂 and so yeah, all my other ducks were getting some too .
the nebulizer I ordered is just a little portable one on Amazon for less than 30 bucks and can even use it for myself and husband too.
poppy is a little better, i think. i haven’t heard much from her squeak or cough wise the last day or so. but that could be because she’s in that room downstairs and I can’t hear everything all the time from there as much as I can hear what’s going on outside.

I’ve used Oxine as a cleaner, never as a nebulizer so I have no experience, but I’ve seen mixed results reading through others who have used it as a nebulizer, some have seen positive results, others haven’t, I don’t think there’s enough testing and confirmed data there to prove for sure that it was the Oxine that was the effective treatment and not something else that cleared out the fungal infection, and there were also cases were it was unconfirmed wether there even was a fungal infection in the first place, meaning it could have been a transient illness the bird‘s immune system cleared on its own.

I think Oxine is something to definitely try and keep using but I don’t think it should be relied on as primary treatment for respiratory issues, especially asper.

Another option is Ampho B nebulized, that is very effective, it’s very toxic but very effective. Avian kidneys seem to clear it better than humans do so avians have higher resistance to the toxic effects of amphotericin B.
If you look hard enough you can find it online for purchase but I STRONGLY advise not using that without veterinary supervision and proper dosing. Some drugs have wiggle room with dosages and it isn’t a big deal if there’s an overdose, Shake and Bake “ampho B“ is not one of them.

I have sprayed myself in the face with Oxine ah with no injury I got dust in my eye when cleaning and also breathed in dust and since I was using it to spray down everything in the coop I just turned it on myself.
I do believe it got my Muscovy drake through his hoarsey squeaky voice a few weeks ago.

The oxine didn't do anything for my geese. In fact, the squeaking and head shaking is pretty pronounced now. I believe that rules out respiratory issues. The vets here don't know about geese, so I couldn't ask them for advice. I've tried and the gal made a big show of looking at its eyes and listening to its heart, but it was clear she had no idea what she was doing.

The oxine didn't do anything for my geese. In fact, the squeaking and head shaking is pretty pronounced now. I believe that rules out respiratory issues. The vets here don't know about geese, so I couldn't ask them for advice. I've tried and the gal made a big show of looking at its eyes and listening to its heart, but it was clear she had no idea what she was doing.
Typical.

You could try Baytril as @Miss Lydia suggested, it will treat a number of respiratory bugs.

Update:
The Oxine didn't do jack. I called the vet asking for the tyrosin and got pushback on it. She called the lab with a video of my geese squeaking and they said they wouldn't recommend antibacterials at this point, but to use echinacea. Given that I'm an herbalist, I found this intriguing. The alkamides in echinacea help with symptoms and do aid the immune system. .1 ml tincture per 8 kg weight once a day. 4 days on, 3 days off, for several weeks. Here goes.......

Incidentally, I did try several different herbals with no lasting response.

Your Oxine can be used to sanitize the bedding in their house I use for spraying down my roosts also so it won’t go to waste. I’m sorry it didn’t work hope the echinacea does

Back
Top Bottom